Attempt for a clearer UI

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Alast

Attempt for a clearer UI

Post by Alast » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Inspired by another thread I've been wondering how the Genome UI could be re-organized to be clearer and easier to grasp. So here is a mockup what it could look like:

Image Image Image

I have reduced the preview window a bit to have more space to work with when I photoshopped these pictures also thinking the the tab structure might need more space. Now in the resulting pictures it becomes rather clear that the preview probably could stay at its current size even when adding tabs because the menues would shrink enough to make up for that.

Starting with the General tab we'd have the basic settings for a particular mode, like what cell type it is and its split behavior.

The moving on to the Children tab we can define the modes offspring. As additional idea a link to the selected mode would be great so that I could easily jump from a mode to one of its child modes right from the tab. Just as a bonus thought ;)

In the Color tab we'd set the visual appearance of the mode.

The Specific mode only applies to those cells that have certain unique parameters like the Flagellocyte's swim force, the Senseocyte's sensing etc.

There's probably more that could be done in order to optimize the UI. Let me know what you think :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Re: Attempt for a clearer UI

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Woooow!!! :D That looks spectacular! Brilliant work.
amor fati
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am

Good PS work! :)

-"As additional idea a link to the selected mode would be great so that I could easily jump from a mode to one of its child modes right from the tab." Completely Agree

-The color Tab could have a little box that has the color of the actual mix you're doing. So you'll know exactly what color you're making your cell. This would be really useful in cases when you can't see the current edited cell in the Preview, like when it appears so late in the Organism Lifespan or maybe is the product of a Stemocyte with exterior stumilus. Currently you have to change that cell to "Initial" to see how it is, then change it back when you're done. With the extra space the Tabs could provide, we could add this little extra features.

-Now that I think about it, the preview could be done in every setting, altough it counters the point of the the General Preview... But just to throw it out there... what about some way of showing the preview of the current cell apart from the general genome.

-Also I like that the Snap Values box is in every Tab. I'd suggest that each of this boxes work independently from the same ones from other Tabs. That way you could differenciate what set of settings you want to have this Snap Value ON, and what not. Currently this Box changes all settings and even resets settings to a Snap Value if you Tick it. So you can't move between them with freedom. You gotta stick to one of them... This sounds like it should be a different suggestion..

-Since the Tabs give a little more space, clustered settings like the "Keep Adesin", "Mirror" and "Mode" don't need to be so tightly together.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:41 am

Yeah, I kind of wanted to indicate Snap Value check boxes being independent per tab. Not sure though how much extra work that would for Petter so I wasn't sure whether to suggest it explicitely. But I agree that it would be great.

I like your idea of a color window! That would really help with the cell coloring.

I've also had a few thoughts on further optimizing the General tab. I will post a new mockup soon.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 am

Here we go with an updated version of the General tab. I have re-organized quite a bit to put everything in a more logical order of the actual workflow.

First of all we want to define the cell type. The other parameters are pretty much other basic settings that didn't fit to the "Split" group below the green line. Down there we have everything put together about the split behavior of our cell. First we set with the split mass whether it splits at all and then with the following parameters how it does so. At the end we activate Adhesin and define its strength.

Maybe the Stay Alive button should actually sit below the Cell Type. Right now it does still look a little cramped together but I was trying to save vertical space. Partly to keep the Preview window at its current size.

I think I do prefer a more open space looking layout though and would be fine sacrificing some preview space. I will provide a third version ;)
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 am

There, I think this looks a little more appealing:

TragmatiS

Post by TragmatiS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:46 pm

I suggest moving "Make adhesin" checkbox to "Children" menu.
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:02 pm

I like this version actually.

But I'd like more this one if the "Make Adesin" and Snap Values were in the same row.

But Idk, the difference aren't big at this point! Maybe version 3 :lol:
Nomekop777

Post by Nomekop777 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I haven't really thought that much of the UI, except:
In experimental mode, you should be able to tap the words of parameters for a pop up definition, like challenge mode. This would also be useful for cell modes.
In genome editor, I always liked the idea of a "Swap child modes" button, which would make child 1 M3 instead of M2, and child 2 M2 instead of M3, for example.
Adding a box that displays the color of the cells stereocytes and senseocytes sense would be handy.
Just a few things I would like to see.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 pm

The only thing i could contribute is to suggest a color preset drop down menu.
And a +genome tab so you can hold multiple genomes in the editor at the same time.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."