More Modes

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Harryjames2045

More Modes

Post by Harryjames2045 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

I think sometimes that it would be nice to have more modes in the game. As it would allow for organism to be even more complex
TragmatiS

Re: More Modes

Post by TragmatiS » Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Imagine a substrate with 1000 cells each having its own genome. Every genome has 20 modes so there are 20000 modes loaded. It`s a serious load for your device. Then imagine a substrate with 1000 cells and 50-60 modes per genome... Do you understand?

I would like if amount of modes available will be a setting. This way you`ll be able to choose how many modes do you want and how much load your device will have.
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun May 07, 2017 2:43 pm

More modes have been requested more times than the average of requested modes ;-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 pm

:lol: That's actually true.
amor fati
merpelicous

Post by merpelicous » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Why don't we have an option to say how many modes each genome could have. This way each person can customize it to their phone specs and amount of cells per plate.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning is regarding customizable mode limits. I've seen it discussed, but I can't recall.
amor fati
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Iv thought of that before as we could use as many modes as we want based on how our phone performance can handle it in the options menu.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am

And what about the guy who wants to look at a 30 mode genome someone else has shared but having his phone set to 20 modes?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 am

Perhaps there could be a default of 20 modes but you could increase the number of modes genome by genome.
Like choosing the max cell count on a substrate: you can open a substrate someone has posted whether the max is 1 or 10000.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 am

Due to the way java memory handling works I like to allocate all memory on start-up to avoid garbage-collection completely while the simulation is running. For this to work CL must know the max number of cells and modes when creating a plate. If a user then inserts a 100 mode cell on a plate, it could possibly multiply to the max number of cells and this much memory must be available from the start. In essence it is as Alast says messy when different cells get mixed. So if I have a plate with 30 mode cells and someone has made a 31 mode cell it can not be added to the plate. In the end this will create different classes of organisms that are compatible with each other. One alternative could be to have like a standard 20 mode plate, or a 200 mode plate and no other options. This will not happen in the update though.

I think part of the challenge with CL is also to make lean organisms using few modes :P. I think working with tight constraints can sometimes be more rewarding. Imagine if you had unlimited modes, it would be impossible to feel satisfied with the design of an organism, there will always be many things that could be added :P. It's like the joy with pixel art, when one is finished, one is finished, it's literally impossible to add more pixels. Maybe only I feel this way though. Also writing code for microcontrollers is more fun imo since with the limited resources one can not keep improving the code forever, at some point it can not get better.