3D Graphics/Organisms

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Tarux

3D Graphics/Organisms

Post by Tarux » Tue May 09, 2017 8:08 am

1- This might seem far fetched, probably won't happen for many years, if not, never will happen. It's just a concept!

Imagine if the cells were 3 dimensional, along with the substrate, it can add a whole new world of possibility! It would require a totally different creature design than any of the designs that we have now. It could also bring in the need for many new cell types (that are only functional in 3D), as well as the need for more modes, many more challenges, and a more powerful computer to handle it all (It might only be possible on PC or console, if this game ever does get to PC or console). I would really want to see this happen, but then again, read the first sentence. Either way, the idea for Cell Lab to break away from being just 2D is still very exiting, to say the least! :)
Ahh, the fresh smell of celluar mitosis!
Alast

Re: 3D Graphics/Organisms

Post by Alast » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am

It would be an entirely new app. Cell Lab 2 so to speak.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Maybe our son will be the one to play it. I really hope that I can live long enough to see it happen. :lol:
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
TragmatiS

Post by TragmatiS » Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Defiпiтely CL2.
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 pm

A version like that could very well be hosted on Steam.
Heck, even Cell Lab as it is could be hosted on Steam, and play "organism wars" against each other.
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Tue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm

It will look incredibly cool, but imagine trying to design a genome in 3d :shock:
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue May 09, 2017 4:03 pm

I actually started making something like this like 7 years ago for PC. I spent a lot of time making a beautiful 3d environment for the cells but in the end never got around to making the cells. The environment was beautiful though :P. Technically I don't think it will be very hard. The computational costs for the same number of cells will not be much higher in 3d. However I'm unsure how playable it would be. Indeed it would be like a completely different game. The splitting angles will be a lot more difficult for the user to keep track of. If we want cells to interact without being smart, then they have to be quite dense and I'm afraid the user would not be able to see much. It would be like swimming in vegetable soup, you wouldn't see very much. For a less dense environment, devorocytes wouldn't touch anything any not work. It could work for smart organisms though.

I've been considering making CL a little bit 3d. Like 3d cells swimming on a plate that can go a bit under each other. Kind of like cells on a petri dish in real life.
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

How would you do that? Have something like 2 or 3 layers that cells can switch layers?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybe a layer limit could make it easier.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm

I like the "a bit 3d" concept. :D I don't know how it would work, but it seems like it could be a sort of z-axis going straight "in". So, instead of layers per se, the cells could have a depth or altitude or "z" variable, and they would look larger or smaller depending on how close they were to the "surface."
amor fati