Gametes, Genotype, Phenotype

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
bwisialo

Re: Gametes, Genotype, Phenotype

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 31, 2017 2:06 am

It should be possible with existing mechanisms to get selective or conditional gamete fusion.

With respect to unexpressed modes, I'd say the question is: does it make larger scale processes significantly different or better?
amor fati
ShiN1GaM1

Post by ShiN1GaM1 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:23 am

bwisialo wrote:It should be possible with existing mechanisms to get selective or conditional gamete fusion.

With respect to unexpressed modes, I'd say the question is: does it make larger scale processes significantly different or better?
besides the advantages that we already anounce here, and the possibility for more combinations of modes I don't think there is anything.
If you love it hard enough, eventually you'll be the best at it (o)
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 am

It would be like an extra layer of randomness to add to the evolution mix, and effectively it will produce a second level of natural selection. But how it will actually affect the general behavior, I'm not sure. It will be closer to how sexual reproduction works with us, which is why I like the idea.

So I wouldn't bet all my money on my answer, but I'd say No. The difference will not be that noticeable. At least on my current view of the system. Maybe tomorrow I'll be convinced otherwise.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 am

ShiN1GaM1 wrote:besides the advantages that we already anounce here, and the possibility for more combinations of modes I don't think there is anything.
I don't think any advantages have be clearly specified. The potential advantages seem hypothetical. The benefit seems mostly unknown. It's very cool but doesn't necessarily improve the bigger picture.
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 am

Ouch, this cell seems to be more complicated than virocyte (which Im still struggling) :oops: . I understand how dominant/recesive genome works, but on an organism in cell lab... well thats a whole new story!.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 am

I think it will be fairly straightforward when we have it in our hands. :)
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 am

Whats sorts of organism we can make though? The first obvious thing I think would be making dumb swimmers just like in the teaser to see whats going on. But for the smart swimmers I cant really understand how it works.

I imagine a "female" kite swimmer (- or receptor) with gamete-egg attached to its rear and a "male" kite swimmer (+ or donor) with a gamete front to chase the female around and combine their genome. I dont know if this will work though since they both have diffrent layout.

Or the more basic design would be 2 linear swimmer with gamete-heads. That will chase each other and combine their genome. So their offspring could be half and half in color (I think thats how it works?)

Also, the gamete dont have any way to get their own nutrients right?
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 31, 2017 5:31 am

You don't have male and female really. You can start with two different 20 mode genomes. Or three or four different genomes.

We'll have to see what set ups work for bringing gametes together. No, Myocyte swimmer and kite won't combine well, though you could probably set it up to result in a kite with a Myocyte neck. You can have two kite swimmers produce a gamete in front and a color-detecting Stereocyte to find one another's gametes. There will be many more interesting things than color recombinations. In the example in the video, though, the offspring of one that is all red and one that is all yellow can range from all red to all yellow or any combination in between.

Cell type detection might be available, and that would change the issue a lot.

No, gametes don't get their nutrients. How much mass/ energy they lose per hr will make a big difference. Hopefully they lose a lot less than Virocytes.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 am

I think what's going to happen is that we find a lot of fun things to do with this new cell once we get it in our hands. Just like with the previously added cells. Once we got the hang of them the ideas just exploded.

That said I'm with bwisialo that the gamete does not fill an actual gap in the game. And that's not what it's supposed to do. It's adding new options (that were requested time and time again by the way, also by me ;) ) that will give us new things to tinker with. I can't wait to try to cross breed a kite swimmer with a linear smart swimmer just to see what happens. Like bwisialo said, probably nothing useful. But still I want to see it :D

I think the Gamete will provide a more simulational feel to Cell Lab than we ever had before. We get to place A and B into a substrate and see what comes out of them mating. It will be like a creation out of your creation.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

I was talking about the idea of unexpressed modes, not gametes. ;) But I get your points.
amor fati