Lipocyte glitch - cells can reproduce without food

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
ClearAirTurbulence

Lipocyte glitch - cells can reproduce without food

Post by ClearAirTurbulence » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:15 pm

I imagine this comes up pretty often but I didn't see anything on my first scan of these forums.

I left a petri dish evolving overnight and in the morning, after 280,000 hours of evolution, the dish was filled to the population limit with cells that just split into lipocytes and then back into phagocytes. I couldn't figure out how they out-competed the highly evolved swimmers I had in the dish when I went to bed, and figured I had too many nutrients for mobility to be an advantage over sitting there splitting rapidly. I turned down the nutrient level again and again until it was at 0, and they still reproduced. They appear to have evolved to exploit a glitch that allows a cell to create more food than it takes in by splitting into multiple lipocytes that have low nutrient priority and then re-absorbing them. You can put these cells in a petri dish with no sunlight and no nutrients and they will hit the population cap in a few minutes.

I tried to upload it here but it said the extension .genome is not allowed. I changed it to .txt and it still wouldn't let me upload. I can email it to someone if they need to see it.
bwisialo

Re: Lipocyte glitch - cells can reproduce without food

Post by bwisialo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Yes, it does come up now and then when using evolution. I couple different folks have posted about it.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for reporting this. I've indeed seen it reported before. To people who have experienced this: does it always involve a lipocyte? Can you tune the parameters and see what makes it stop? I think your analysis is correct but I still don't know what the actual glitch is. I'll make sure this is fixed before releasing the next version :), it's a pretty nasty bug :)
ClearAirTurbulence

Post by ClearAirTurbulence » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Petter wrote:Thanks for reporting this. I've indeed seen it reported before. To people who have experienced this: does it always involve a lipocyte? Can you tune the parameters and see what makes it stop? I think your analysis is correct but I still don't know what the actual glitch is. I'll make sure this is fixed before releasing the next version :), it's a pretty nasty bug :)
I can email you the genome if you'd like, but I don't have a public space to upload it to. If you don't want to make your email public, email me at dschoneberg@gmail.com.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:51 pm

That would be nice, my email is already public in the play store, cell.lab.game@gmail.com :P

Cheers,
Petter
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Petter,

Here is a genome with a phagocyte bug. I developed it via evolution for the Macrophages IV challenge. Miraculously, it reaches 800!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9515gz0dlg1v ... enome?dl=0

Evolution also produced a bug when I was developing a genome for Infection II. It's another phagocyte bug:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vr7fq56nv9g8g ... enome?dl=0
amor fati
ClearAirTurbulence

Post by ClearAirTurbulence » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 pm

This glitch reminded me of an argument against supernatural powers like clairvoyance and mind-reading. If there were real useful abilities involving hidden senses and such, if they provided even the smallest advantage, every living thing would have psychic powers.

In the simulated reality my cells live in, there is a magical way to produce food out of nothingness, and it only took a few decades for them to evolve the ability to do so.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks a lot everyone, I believe I have found and fixed the bug now. As a bonus this fixes another bug as well!

It will though take quite some time before this fix will be distributed in play store.

Cheers,
Petter