Keratinocyte and devorocyte incompatibility?

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
kilterwind

Keratinocyte and devorocyte incompatibility?

Post by kilterwind » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:24 pm

I did some search but I admit I am lazy to try further hahaha… So I bring up my question here. I dunno if it is a bug or something else…

I have no problem building a devorocyte chain. Although its been stated that devorocytes kill cells. I guess I am at least correct on that devorocytes dont kill devorocytes. (as I am able to build a devorocyte chain)
Now I am trying to build a devorocyte-keratinocyte-flagellocyte unit. From this unit, I want the devorocyte tail to grows in length by eating up other cells and then dividing into devorocytes itself. But what I have been observing is that the daughter 2 devorocyte (well, I mean the one at the very end after the division) is killed by daughter 1 devorocyte (or, is it the mother that kills?) everytime the division starts, so that only 1 devorocyte remains after each division. That is to say, the chain does not grow at all. But my thought is it shouldnt be the case. Since devorocytes dont kill devorocytes.

That is the time point when I recalled the rule of the keratinocyte: it protects itself and the cells it is directly attached to from devorocytes, but wont protect cells further away from the chain. So, if, at the programming level, maybe, this keratinocyte rule has somehow override the rule that devorocyte does not kill devorocytes, then the above phenomenon seems to get a well bug-related explanation.

I am just wondering if I am missing out things…
If not, maybe it is intended to be like this?
If neither of these is true, then probably I can say that I just discovered a bug =)?
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Keratinocyte and devorocyte incompatibility?

Post by Petter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi,
Good observation, but this is actually the intended behavior. Devorocytes don't actually kill either cells per se, they steal their energy which usually kills the other cell. And devorocytes do "kill" each other. It's just that if they both steal the same amount from each other nothing happens. Unless one is protected by a keratinocyte :)
kilterwind

Post by kilterwind » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:54 am

Hahahahaha~ my mistake
Everything makes so much sense now =)
Thanks a lot!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Petter wrote:Hi,
Good observation, but this is actually the intended behavior. Devorocytes don't actually kill ither cells per see, they steal their energy which usually kills the other cell. And devorocytes do "kill" each other. It's just that if they both steal the same amount from each other nothing happens. Unless one is protected by a keratinocyte :)
Interesting. I didn't realize that this is how Devorocytes work. In that case, my Glueocyte solution to Tip the Balance sort of works in a manner similar to using Devorocytes.

Could you answer a few questions? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the following points seem to part of what makes Devorocytes and Glueocytes different as energy-sucking killers:

If you set a Devorocyte's Nutrient priority very high, it will not effect how fast/how much it sucks energy from an unprotected cell (unless the Devorocyte is adhered to the cell). Whereas, if you set a Glueocyte's nutrient priority very high, it will suck more energy from the cells it gets stuck to.

It seems that Devororcytes suck much more energy much more quickly than a Glueocytes can, even if the Glueocyte is set to maximum nutrient priority. On the other hand, there is no protection from Glueocytes, because they can can suck energy from Keratinocytes and cells connected to Keratinocytes.

I could test this next one by myself, but I'm not sure what cell settings might answer this. Is it possible for a Glueocyte to "kill" a Devorocyte, or at least for a Glueocyte to reach its split mass without being "killed" by a Devorocyte that it gets stuck to, perhaps if the Glueocyte is connected to a Keratinocyte? (provided that the cell settings give the Glueocyte this sort of advantage)

Thanks.
amor fati