Substrate Details

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Cody_Hackins

Substrate Details

Post by Cody_Hackins » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:35 pm

While playing around with the challenges, I realized that I have a lot of confusion over what the changes of each substrate was. This is especially true with the final Macrophage challenge.

Advantages can be:
- You actually know what the problem is.
- You can reproduce the setting in the lab.

Plus, shouldn't you, as a scientist, know what the substrate is subjected to?

Thanks for reading, and tell me your opinion!
- Cody
bwisialo

Re: Substrate Details

Post by bwisialo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:09 pm

After initially using CL for a while, I thought it would be great to have all the substrates for the challenges accessible in the Experiments section. After trying to create some of my own challenges, I quickly realized that giving us direct access to the substrates would be a bad thing. Doing so take a lot of the challenge out of the challenges, because this allows you to evolve and (more or less) optimize your genome to the exact substrate of the challenge. Developing solutions thus becomes much easier, takes much less time, and takes much less creative experimenting and work of your own.

P.S. Any solution that works for Macrophages 4 will work for Macrophages 5 -- Macrophages 5 just has a lot more nutrients. Macrophages 4 is the one substrate that Petter has posted on the forum -- see the Macrophages IV thread.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion, I try to write a little in the challenges what the changes are but maybe I should be a bit clearer. Giving access to the whole substrate might be a little too easy, or maybe not. I will consider this for the future. Perhaps putting values on the sliders in experiment mode and then printing the values on the challenge would be enough.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 pm

I solved all the challenges with my own genomes(except for sterilisation, gene therapy, as i mentioned on other post) without using the experiment lab, I mean, without evolution, it was Harder but I feel good, I even solved the macrophages IV challenge, but I forgot to save the genome, and I can't remember get how the hell I did it, anyway, I don't know why too many people seem troubled with tip the balance, they offer pretty complicated solutions, I just modified the simple flagella, keratynocyte, phagocyte, I played a little with the split ratios, and split mass, I got and amazing organism, I saw fast that the regular swimmers in the substrate were poorly developed, so I just had to make a super defensive tank swimmers, that I called purple unicorns BTW, that were more able to survive, even without devoroucytes, they as I expected game the whole substrate in a few minutes, with only one cell inserted
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 pm

I didn't mistake the post, what I mean is, the game is already short, so maybe instead of evolving a lot, optimising manually the genomes is much more rewarding, even if evolution can be funny and interesting, I think that should be a challenge for our creativity, technically you are asking if the challenges can be solved alone more easily, I may pass my highly scientifically developed purple unicorn as soon as I stop getting troubled with Dropbox
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Making user-created challenges is the most engaging and interesting thing I've done after completing the challenges. For me, it's been as fun as, and much more difficult than, completing the challenges already given the app. And you get to know a lot about substrates, species, evolution, etc., and you end up evolving interesting unintended species along the way.
amor fati