Gravity setting has no effect

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Omc

Gravity setting has no effect

Post by Omc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the game a few days ago, loving it, really interesting idea, very much my cup of tea. :)

I tried looking at the experiments tab after getting stuck on a challenge for a while, and altering gravity seems to have zero effect on the substrate. From the default settings, all I changed was turning nutrient concentration to minimum, dropped a default phagocyte in to confirm that it didn't change altitude, then tried changing gravity to several different levels from min to max but no change to cells inserted.

I couldn't see anything like this mentioned on this forum, has anyone else experienced this? Is it a bug?
Raven

Re: Gravity setting has no effect

Post by Raven » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 pm

You need to change the density too.
(;>
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:38 pm

You can leaving the Density setting at the default. What you have to change is the Density Gradient. The higher the Density gradient, the more forcefully cells are pulled a fixed "height" -- bottom to top -- in the petri dish.

The Density setting determines where cells are pulled to. At the Default setting, cells are pulled to a horizontal field in the middle of the dish . Lowering the Density will pull the cells to to a horizontal field below the middle of the dish. Increasing the Density will pull the cells to to a horizontal field above the middle of the dish.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Yeah, some gravity with low density will make cells go down, some gravity and high density makes cells go up
Higher gravity the effect will be seen faster, lower gravity is slower, also how extremely the density was set can slow or accelerate this effect
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:31 am

Also with buoyocytes you will see an effect of gravity without changing the substrate density if you change the density of buoyocytes.

It is just like in real life, gravity is the acceleration of the substrate (like m/s^s) and density is the density (like kg/m^2) of the liquid surrounding cells. The density gradient is just how much the density changes between the top and bottom, like in the ocean where there is a salinity gradient.
Omc

Post by Omc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 am

Ah, I'll give that a go later, thanks.

I didn't want to change the density gradient as I was hoping for a consistent substrate (i.e. plain water, where cells of a default density would fall to the bottom at a constant rate without acceleration over time) & assumed that the default density would be sufficient and gravity would be the factor to implement a downwards pull, but I see now how I've misinterpreted the settings.

I was stuck on Floaters; I solved it by accident when a carefully planned series of divisions went slightly off-course but managed to just reach over the 500 mark. I was curious to try recreating the substrate and see what random cells and/or mutations would turn up that would consistently reach a higher population. Every second organism I tried to add to live beneath the first using dying cells from the first organism as a food source failed to reproduce.

Anyway, glad it's just me being dense and not a bug; thanks for the help!