Ideas for Challenges

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
bwisialo

Ideas for Challenges

Post by bwisialo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:40 am

Here are some ideas for challenges for which there are no user-created challenges.

- A challenge that requires you to use Glueocytes to kill off another species, but much more difficult than Sterilization II. My best idea is something similar to Sterilization, where you would have to bomb and kill another species with Glueocytes. Sounds fun :)

- A challenge which requires you to use swimmers that have both Keratinocytes and Nitrocytes -- a 4 cell swimmer. (The species to be killed off in “Conquering II” is a Keratinocyte-Nitrocyte swimmer.)

- An Infection challenge that requires you to use viral floaters to infect floaters on the substrate. Also sounds fun :)

- An Infection challenge that requires you to use all 7 modes (or at least 5 modes) of infection. A Virocyte can infect 7 modes -- might as well use Virocytes in their full capacity. :)

Here are the premises of some of the user-created challenges, with some comments about the challenges posted. The challenges are merely examples based on the premises. The challenges all have their shortcomings, and the premises are more important.

- Harsh Conditions III: a challenge that requires you to use numerous cell types. Four in this case: Photocytes, Nitrocytes, Lipocytes, and Glueocytes or Buouyocytes. Alast was able to solve this only using 3 cell types :) , so it needs some tweaking in order to require 4.

- Conquering II: a second challenge for Nitrocyte swimmers, one that requires a more efficient / aggressive Nitrocyte swimmer than Harsh Conditions II. Rather than create a low-nutrient challenge (like Macrophages IV), I opted for a competitive challenge. For Nitrocyte species, Conquering seemed better than Tip the B. And I used “Kill cells at edge” to require a different sort of Nitrocyte swimmer than what’s needed for Harsh II.

- Floaters III: a challenge that requires Nitrocyte floaters.

- Droefkalkoen’s Floaters/Extinction: this sort of challenge can kill two birds with one stone -- a challenge that requires Keratinocyte floaters, and a Tip the B challenge for floaters :) . To do this, the posted challenge would simply have to be changed to disallow Flagellocytes.

- Precarious Conditions: The premise was, well... to come up with a premise that's a bit different than any of the existing challenges. The idea I hit upon was a challenge where you have to hover below an edge that kills, avoid sinking, while also supplying your species with Nitrocytes (a requirement that slows reproduction and thus makes floating without sinking a bit more difficult). After some insane work on Alast's evil :twisted: variation of this challenge, I was able to complete it without Buoyocytes. So, it could be tweaked to make floating more difficult -- as if the challenge wasn't difficult enough already :)

- Precarious Conditions II: The premise came from CandyYAHFT :) -- reach a high cell count then die off completely. Slight changes to the Precarious Conditions substrate served very well for this premise, which made this substrate and its requirements all the more appealing for me :)

- Tip the Balance III: The premise had to do with the relationship between the two species (but the species used could be different). The two species will live together indefinitely. But one species (the Devorocytes) stays alive only by killing a second species (the swimmers), has no chance whatsoever of killing off that species, and would die off without it. However, you have to rely on the Devorocytes in order to kill off the swimmers. That is, if your species disposes of the Devorocytes much before the swimmers, it will be very difficult -- preferably, all but impossible -- to kill off the swimmers on your own.

That’s the premise, anyway. I’m not sure I came very close to approximating this premise in my challenge. To try to get the sort of balance I had in mind, I made the substrate low in nutrients while providing light as a means to keep your species going. To improve the balance perhaps I could have made the swimmers more prolific or the Devorocytes less so. It's a tricky balance. And, as Alast's solution showed, Devorocytes need to be disallowed. But that’s just my challenge. Petter could no doubt do much, much better than I :) if he wanted to use this sort of premise.
Last edited by bwisialo on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
amor fati
bwisialo

Re: Ideas for Challenges

Post by bwisialo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:04 am

Oh, and of course lots of challenges with Neurocytes :)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:17 am

Aaand the new musclecytes ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Aaaaand- Um... Idk, your choice. :P
Hello, I am TygrCZ.