Empty substrate alert

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Kanohuf

Empty substrate alert

Post by Kanohuf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi! I was recently playing with evolution. Unfortunately every single time after a few minutes my substrate was cleaned out. One wrong mutation and everything was gone. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 20. It was all a matter of luck. I was thinking about some kind of notification to inform the player that current substrate is empty. What do you think?
(maybe an autosave would be also useful...)
0 θ 8 This is how it begins...
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Empty substrate alert

Post by Petter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 pm

"One wrong mutation and everything was gone. " That is not how it works. One wrong mutation might kill a single organism but it should not kill all of them. If you have too high radiation then everything might die because they accumulate more bad mutations than the ones without bad mutations have time to replace when they die. I don't know how an alert would help, it would already be too late.

There is currently a bug I report in a different thread, maybe what you experience could be related to that?
Kanohuf

Re: Empty substrate alert

Post by Kanohuf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding. Radiation was as low as possible. It's about mutations that trigger some cells to be somehow "parasitic" (It's realated to coated food. Nothing with Glueocytes, Devorocytes or anything, so I can't erase them from the gene pool). They swarm the substrate very fast and eventually the substrate only contains these mutated ones. Unfortunately they can't sustain themselves and after a few moments the substrate is empty. Substrate without the radiation is stable. This kind of notification would help me to reset the substrate as soon as the parasites take over so I won't miss the evolution time of normal organisms. But I understand that it's not a very common problem ;)
0 θ 8 This is how it begins...