Unable to open .genome in android

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Paul

Unable to open .genome in android

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:42 am

Anyone else not been able to open downloaded files?

I am using an android phone, I can't choose Cell Lab or any options for opening .gnome or .substrate files. Under settings the only file associations with cell lab is *

tried re installing Cell Lab... any suggestions?

Paul
CandyYAHFT

Re: Unable to open .genome in android

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:09 am

Nobody else has that problem, it will be very noticeable, give more details of your trouble, like for example what exact phone do you have, I have android and I don't seem to have this problem
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:53 am

Once it's downloaded, you should be able to tap the downloaded file and it should open automatically in CL. If that isn't working, describe the steps you go through when you try to download and open.
amor fati
Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:16 pm

I have a Nexus 5, its been updated with the current OS updates. I can download the files fine. Under downloads I tap on the file to open, the operating system informs me "Can't open file". I have tried this with multiple .gnome and .substrate

Other file types work fine, .pdf opens in a reader, images open in the image viewer...
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 pm

Now I think I know what the problem is,
Did you already unlocked all cell types?
Because if you don't, you only can download substrates and genomes that contains only the cells you have already unlocked, even if they're not in the substrate "apparently" if they're in even one cells genome you won't be able to open it, and a cell you haven't unlocked is marked in the gene pool of experiments in the substrate settings tab, you won't be able to open such substrate
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:58 am

When I first noticed it, I had unlocked all cell types, I was on challenge 27 Infection II. and had completed all previous chalenges. Since then i have re installed cell lab and havent unlocked all cell types yet. The version of Cell lab is 42
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:38 am

Even if someone hasn't unlocked the cell types, the genome will import into CL. If locked cell types are in the genome, CL will simply say "Changing unknown cells" when you open the genome.

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I'll take a look.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 am

Don't worry, I found the solution, I tried random stuff until I reproduced the problem, follow the next steps.
•Go to settings
•scroll down to device
•touch applications (in some phones it may be called app data)
•reset preferences for all apps (you won't lose anything)
•restart the phone
EXPLANATION
this problems appears because the system doesn't recognise "Cell Lab" all you have to do then is to force the system to recognise the programming, I gave a lot of time to this because I can't handle somebody not to enjoy the whole experience of Cell Lab (overreacting again yeah) the truth is that I didn't want Petter to lose time on this ;) I really want that update 8-) , and I'm a pro with all the technology I couldn't waste my talent :twisted:
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 am

You can also check app info for all your applications, which can run .txt, then restore defaults
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
head.bookworm

Post by head.bookworm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks for the work you put into finding a workaround and posting it, CandyYAHFT. I was excited to find a potential solution. Unfortunately, this fix isn't working with Android 6.0.1 (at least on a Galaxy Note 5). I tried all of the methods for modifying permissions and resetting default apps, rebooted, reinstalled, and then done all of those in various orders, but still can't get the darn thing to give me anything other than the "Unable to find application to perform this action" message when I try to open a

Anyone else still having trouble and/or having success at fixing it? I've browsed the various Android forums for methods to reassign default applications, but CandyYAHFT's explanation is as good as anything out there. I'm not sure if this is an android version issue or a problem with Samsung's default apps. I did get a prompt for S-Note permissions when selecting a newly downloaded substrate after resetting the app permissions, but even with S-Note disabled (it can't be uninstalled) the problem persists.