Cell angle instead of child angle

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Wilcz

Cell angle instead of child angle

Post by Wilcz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 am

Just a simple little thing I've noticed. It's nothing serious but it would be nice to have it IMO.

When you want to rotate a cell (for example flagellocyte) you have to go back to the parent cell, tap on it (or just choose the right mode) and adjust the 'child angle' slider. It would be nice if we could apply the angle directly to the highlighted cell.
Alast

Re: Cell angle instead of child angle

Post by Alast » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I've never thought of that. I like this idea!
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice and simple, but im too used to changing angles from it's parents cell. It helps new users (as well as older ones) understand the structure of the organism and how it behaves.

But i do agree the genome editor can be tweaked a little bit more to make things somehow easier, but maybe not too much so it will not clutter the interface :)

Perhaps an optional feature to turn on from the settings? Slider with numbers, angle features, and maybe even double genome editor so we can quickly load 2 genomes into the plate.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 pm

What you suggest is not simply moving the slider to the settings of a different mode, it changes the cell splitting mechanics to be quite different from what it is now, many organisms would not be possible to make anymore. What if M1 and M2 both have M3 as a child? Right now the two M3 could have different angles w.r.t. to their parents, with your suggestion they would always be the same angle forcing us to make two similar modes with different angles.
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm

That's a killer argument :)
Wilcz

Post by Wilcz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Petter wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 pm
What you suggest is not simply moving the slider to the settings of a different mode, it changes the cell splitting mechanics to be quite different from what it is now, many organisms would not be possible to make anymore. What if M1 and M2 both have M3 as a child? Right now the two M3 could have different angles w.r.t. to their parents, with your suggestion they would always be the same angle forcing us to make two similar modes with different angles.
Oh. I didn't think of that. Yeah, I now see how that would mess with the cells since it's the mode (not the highlighted cell) that is being rotated.
Aryan

Post by Aryan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 am

I think we should add cell angle while keeping child angle. And cell angles will automatically get converted into child angle after saving.

Cell angle will be like if a cell comes in 0° according to child angle and cell angle is 90° it will automatically get tilted to 90°.

For example if we get stuck in the two mode problem as Petter said we can edit using child angles else we can use cell angles. As both these can make it complex, cell angles will get converted to child angles after saving.

And if we don't want cell angles to get converted then there will be a button in the save menu.
This can confuse new players so cell angle will unlock later in the game.

This will not only make game simpler but may also unlock many new possibilities.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 am

To be honest, I think this approach of doing both would make things unnecessarily complicated. And let's face it, CL already is complex enough as it is without adding more buttons and switches :)
Wilcz

Post by Wilcz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Alast wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 am
To be honest, I think this approach of doing both would make things unnecessarily complicated. And let's face it, CL already is complex enough as it is without adding more buttons and switches :)
Exactly. I'd rather have child angle instead of cell angle. If there was a "cell angle" slider you would also have to have an "aplly to this mode/apply to this cell only" checkbox and that would complicate things even more.