a few suggestions

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
merpelicous

Re: a few suggestions

Post by merpelicous » Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Hydra: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus)

Definitely don't need all of the properties for this, but I didn't suggest all of them for that specific reason. Just do what you feel is best for the game.

I was re reading some posts, and I think most of your idea for nerve cells were good, except one. You mentioned one based on color, which I hate, because I like being able to label my cells without consequences. Maybe some kind of protein receptor implementation or something, but I think you should leave color as is.
leo3065

Post by leo3065 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Nice discussion!
I really like the nerve cell idea, as sometimes controlling the actions of some cells is necessary. My ideas is that there should be three types of nerve cells: one for sending, one for transmission and one for reception. All of them can affect and be affected by directly connected cells. The sending one sends signal when specific events, which can be set, happen to connected cells or itself. It may also be a sensory cell which react to food, light, and signal molecules which will be mentioned later, etc. The one for transmission can pass signal and make specified modification to signal, such as convert one type into another, increase or decrease intensity or invert the signal strength. The reception cells can receive the signal passed by transmission cell and do actions or affect neighbor cells according to the type and strength of the signal.
The second idea is to transmit using some kind of signal molecules which are produced by special kind of cells, respectively there will be another kind of cells that being affected by the molecules. The molecules can spread according to density, gravity and many factors. It will decay or transform into another kind of molecules on specific conditions, for example being shined with light, having contact with food, being produced for certain time and so on.
cellturtle1134

Post by cellturtle1134 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 pm

How do I run a genome from Dropbox?
leo3065

Post by leo3065 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 am

cellturtle1134 wrote:How do I run a genome from Dropbox?
Download it and open it with the app.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat May 30, 2015 11:59 am

@leo3065:

Those were some nice ideas as well! I will take this all into consideration. Having chemicals react to gravity and sunshine and stuff might be too much though, all calculations slow down the game and if the chemicals are to check for food etc nearby that will considerably slow the game down.

Cheers,
Petter
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:19 pm

For the Keratinocyte thing, I think it would be useful for them to not get mutated by radiation. I have a nice cell complex called Striker and mutation always destroyes it. Instead of not duplicating more, 1 part starts growing up, colonizating whole Petri dish. :?
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 pm

I'll think about this, could be useful. Why don't you just turn off the radiation though?

And by the way, the phenomena you discovered is very much like a cancer tumour, all cells live their orderly life to the benefit of the whole organism, but once in a while one of them mutates such that it gets an advantage against its fellow cells and it starts growing out of control.
merpelicous

Post by merpelicous » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Petter wrote:I'll think about this, could be useful. Why don't you just turn off the radiation though?

And by the way, the phenomena you discovered is very much like a cancer tumour, all cells live their orderly life to the benefit of the whole organism, but once in a while one of them mutates such that it gets an advantage against its fellow cells and it starts growing out of control.
I don't know about his situation, but in mine, I would be trying to see how some cells will evolve when another specific cell type is present, so I would want some cells to change from radiation, but not others.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Yea, I've been in this situation as well, though making keratinocytes radiation-resistant just helps for a small subset of situations when this happens. I've been considering letting cells have a natural rate of mutations (that itself can be set modified through mutations) since this actually beneficial in some situations, e.g. to let the cells adapt to the environment.
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 am

I need radiation for "enemy" cells to evolve, but then mine are getting destroyed... :evil:
Hello, I am TygrCZ.