Crazy evolutions

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Draconi

Crazy evolutions

Post by Draconi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 pm

So for the past couple of days I've been running a continuous experimentation dish to help me solve i think the second no-nitrates challenge, the one in which there is no sunlight and a gravity pull along with no nitrates requiring your cells to produce their own in order to be able to divide. Slowly I've been increasing the gravity, density, and reducing the food of the solution to try and get a viable cell combo and... wow...

After eleven recorded swimmer spices (much more if you count all the ones that came and went as i wasn't paying attention for hours on end) they've all managed to keep a population of around 100-200 ish, sometimes going extinct but always bouncing back once i re-introduced the latest recorded evolutions. But i just checked in now and my jaw dropped, not only have the numbers skyrocketed to over 800 living cells, but the species has completely done away with the swimmer type completely, instead resorting to boyant cells to move up the solution and apparently dropping Phago cells to gather food and split into nitrate and boyant cells to pull them back up... or, something like that.

Because of the mass numbers, the little guys have actually managed to accumulate so many sub-species that it's impossible to tell which one is the "correct" one and which are just random mutations that are somehow clinging to life. The entire top of the dish is swarming with spare boyant cells, and the whole thing is frankly insane!

I've cut off the radiation to the dish at the moment, and i'm currently just waiting for nature to run it's coarse, hoping for whatever cells have the best genes to stay alive while those that don't get out-competed for nutrients and eventually die off, leaving just those who work properly in the majority. Regardless i'm expecting i may be able to solve the challenge with ease now.

What about you guys, have you ever had any kind of freak evolution spikes in your experiments? I've already had my swimmers evolve into a completely different type of cell, what about you?
Alast

Re: Crazy evolutions

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:58 pm

That sounds really cool. I would love to see that substrate. Personally I've never seen that. mainly because I was always so motivated to solve things myself that I barely touched evolution for challenges.

Can you look what challenge it was you wanted to solve? I'm curious :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Draconi

Post by Draconi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:26 pm

OMG these things are crazy-hard to kill! For the hell of it i just layered the top of the dish with basic devour cells three or four times, each time wiping out like, 99% of the cells, and even from the simple buoyant cells the whole population skyrockets back to 800+ in a matter of seconds!

And yeah, i can probably send you the cells and environment, still new to that feature so i'd need to be talked through it. Going to go back to waiting for a stable cell though, from the looks of it even after wiping out 99% of the species i'm still getting the odd feature that looks like a random mutation, the occasional orange cell or pair of cells stuck together that aren't supposed to be etc, despite the lack of radiation.
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:41 pm

You can start by telling me which challenge you're trying to solve ;)

For file sharing I would recommend creating a Dropbox account. It's pretty self explanatory.
Draconi

Post by Draconi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:53 pm

uhhh... whoops...

the challenge is actually "slippery slope 2", a solution which has little to no viscosity in it at all... and mine had about 50% viscosity to it... and i may have even been increasing it through the experiment...

Needless to say i'm fairly certain i just wasted a few days on this expariment.

And uhhh... i have a dropbox account, but it's on my computer, not my phone.i'm really more of a PC guy then much else, so i'm not sure how to move files around on my phone. i know how to share the stuff via email, but thats about it.
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:08 pm

That's exactly how I do it. I share via mail with myself and then on my laptop move the file into my dropbox folder ;) There's probably an easier way. But I haven't figured out yet how to put files on my phone directly into dropbox from Cell Lab...

And about the challenge. Actually you can use your insights from the experiment still on the challenge. I solved that with Buyocytes as well, maxing out the substrate ;)
Draconi

Post by Draconi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 pm

H'uh, emailing it to myself didn't seem to do anything. i'll try with a different email next time i guess.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Well, you should be able to find that email now in your mail accout from your computer, right? Then you can also download the genome/substrate file.
Draconi

Post by Draconi » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 pm

So this is odd. In my latest experiment i seem to have developed some kind of... self-sustaining devourite colony. It's just this huge cluster of devourites connected too and potentially feeding off eachother, somehow not killing eachother off in the process and actually growing in number. As far as i can see, there are no photo or patho cells in there at all for them to actually get nutrients from. Think i might start lowering the food and light supply to see what happens, see if they can survive in a no-nutrient environment.
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:59 pm

This is a known bug in version 42. Petter has taken care of it in the upcoming version.