How Viruses work

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Petter
Site Admin

How Viruses work

Post by Petter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 pm

I have received some questions regarding how viruses work. I will attempt to clarify things a bit below :)

The in-game hint:
The Virocyte is a cell infected with a virus. If another cell touches this cell it risks also getting infected unless it is protected by a Keratinocyte. Part of this cells genome will get copied into the other cell when it gets infected. This is very much how a virus works in nature.

Which part of the genome gets copied is specified by the "Virus copy from" property in the genome editor. Where it is copied into the victim cell is specified by the "Virus copy to" property. Note that not only the genes for one mode are copied but also the genes for the modes of 2 generations of descendants. So a maximum of 1+2+4 modes of the host genome are copied to the newly infected cell.

In this challenge you are supposed to kill all the initial cells by infecting them with a virus.
To clarify a bit:
A Virocyte represents not actually a virus particle, but a cell infected with and spreading a virus. It is thus still a cell and it still has 15 modes in its genome.

The virus itself is just a piece of DNA that incorporates itself into the victims of infection. This "piece of DNA" exist in the Virocyte and the property "Virus copy from" specifies what part of its DNA that make up the transferred virus particle.

Let's say we have a cell A, where mode 3 is of type Virocyte, mode 10 is of type Flagellocyte, and that cell A is currently in mode 3.
A's mode 5 has property "virus copy from" set to 10.

Let's say we have a cell B, where mode 4 is of type Photocyte and that cell B is currently in mode 4.

Now A and B touch. This means that a virus particle containing DNA from mode 10 of cell A will be transferred into cell B. Where will this DNA end up? That is dictated by cell A's mode 3's setting, "virus copy to". If this is mode 4, then we will immediately see cell B become a Flagellocyte and swim away. If "virus copy to" is set to, say 5, then mode 5 will be overwritten by everything in cell A's mode 10. But since cell B is in mode 4, and not 5, we will not immediately see a difference after it was infected, unless we investigate it's genome.

More modes are sometimes copied as well since two generations of descendants are copied as well. This means that whatever modes mode 10 of A would have split into will also be copied and their daughter modes as well. All relative positions are conserved so if mode 10 splits to 9 and 7, they would always be pasted into where mode 10 is pasted, -1 and -3 respectively.

Descendants example: Virocyte copies from mode 5 to mode 8.
Mode 5 of Virocyte splits to 4 and 3, which respectively split to 2,2 and 3,3.
Then these copies will be done:
5 → 8
4 → 7
3 → 6
2 → 5

Hope this clears up a bit! Viruses are complicated and modifications of the genome can have unintended consequences, don't expect to get it right the first time! These challenges are left as the last one of a reason :P
bruneti

Re: How Viruses work

Post by bruneti » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi, I'm playing Infection II from v36 and ran into a problem I can't figure out from your post.

My (untested) idea to solve this challenge is to design a virus that infects the cell attached to the flagellocyte, in a way that instead of splitting into seeds for more organisms it makes more virocytes, closing the infection cycle.

The organism's modes are 2 (initial phagocyte), 3 (flagellocyte) and 4 (seed phagocyte).

I have a M1 virocyte with the copy from property set to a M5 phagocyte that shoots out M1 virocytes, and the "copy to" property set to the M2 phagocyte I want to infect.

My problem is that my M5 phagocyte shoots out some phagocytes I didn't design (of the same color as my M1 virocyte for some reason).

Is this behavior correct? What am I missing?

Thanks.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Since you copy from mode M5 to mode 2 in the swimmer the mode numbers don't match up, there is a difference of 3. So when the descendant modes get copied they no longer have the same mode numbers and you will miss it when you tell mode 5 to split to mode 5 and 1.

Also, when the swimmer splits and gives off a virus, be careful that it doesn't break it's own dna when it splits since it then touches the virus it just made.

That the color is the same is probably a coincidence, all properties are copied at the same time so if the cell types are different the colors should be too, unless they match up by coincidence.

Hope this helps,
Petter
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:12 pm

I think this part of the have should really have a step by step tutorial, like in the beginning. Copying one mode to another is difficult enough to understand, but the extra generations? I'm so lost.
Azedenkae

Post by Azedenkae » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 am

bruneti wrote:Hi, I'm playing Infection II from v36 and ran into a problem I can't figure out from your post.

My (untested) idea to solve this challenge is to design a virus that infects the cell attached to the flagellocyte, in a way that instead of splitting into seeds for more organisms it makes more virocytes, closing the infection cycle.

The organism's modes are 2 (initial phagocyte), 3 (flagellocyte) and 4 (seed phagocyte).

I have a M1 virocyte with the copy from property set to a M5 phagocyte that shoots out M1 virocytes, and the "copy to" property set to the M2 phagocyte I want to infect.

My problem is that my M5 phagocyte shoots out some phagocytes I didn't design (of the same color as my M1 virocyte for some reason).

Is this behavior correct? What am I missing?

Thanks.
Just to not ruin this level for others who came to this thread just to know how viruses work, I posted how I won this challenge in this thread here: http://cell-lab.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?p=539#p539
Luizedu123

Post by Luizedu123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm

I made a "theory" about the virocyte, what if the the virocytes are cells that,when it was being infected by a virus, it suffered a mutation that made it develop these stick-like protrusions which the virus can exit the cell without damaging the cell
Just joined this (o) lab forum