Nerf Keratinocytes

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Petter
Site Admin

Nerf Keratinocytes

Post by Petter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:03 am

I've been considering making a substrate setting so keratinocytes only protect themselves, kind of artificial perhaps but maybe it would benefit some more complicated designs? To protect a swimmer you would need many keratinocytes/place them at smart locations. Seeing where evolution would place them would be cool :P.

A species like the one in infestation would perhaps actually be kind of useful in some environments?

What do you think?
Alast

Re: Nerf Keratinocytes

Post by Alast » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:48 pm

You mean something that could be switched on and off? Yeah, could be interesting, but might be very hard to actually use. When you want to completely protect a swimmer It will need quite a few cells which will immensely increase the the energy requirements of the organism.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I personally think that is too evil... But as a setting, it might work. :P
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:17 am

That was actually how the first Cell Lab version worked, everything was a bit more hardcore to begin :P.

Probably just adding 1-2 keratinocytes in a smart location would already help protect the swimmers a lot so I think this could be interesting.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am

That was actually how the first Cell Lab version worked, everything was a bit more hardcore to begin :P.

Probably just adding 1-2 keratinocytes in a smart location would already help protect the swimmers a lot so I think this could be interesting.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:16 pm

the addition of the sulfurocytes I mention in another post ...
Do you think they'll be hard to program, you know, the think of if a cell is attached to 2 keratynocytes has protection to acid, and of course the keratynocytes by themselves got protection, I think the solution might be, that devoroucytes and virocytes don't damage any cells attached to a keratynocytes, however, only keratynocytes (and not cells attached to it) have protection to sulfurocytes
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Ah, thats a cool idea too! Some stronger type of devorocyte that perhaps only keratinocytes are protected from (or those connected to two like you said). This stronger form of devorocytes would have to have some kind of disadvantage against ordinary devorocytes though so the original still has it's use cases. Any ideas?
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 pm

the sulfurocyte don't get energy from damaged cells, meaning they only have usage if attached to another cell, then the advantage of devoroucytes, is that they can be the only cell type in a genome, and that they get energy from damaged cells, the sulfurocyte will have more purpose, will be a stronger kind of devoroucyte and also give advantage to more complex organisms, because is needed to make them useful, and also to make a species that survives it, the most complex challenge will be to make a coexistence kind of challenge with them.

and an additional thing, the sulfurocyte(or wathever you do instead of it) instant kill cells touched, or "burn" them faster, is energy consumption should be small, since it doesn't get energy, is just an idea tough
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Raven

Post by Raven » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:11 am

to be honest I would prefer a a total nerf to keratinocytes, so that they protect only themselves.. Maybe there could be another type, say a calciocyte which deposits protective material on cells which degrade as they are touched by devorocytes? This way you could split it into two cells with different functions.
(;>
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:14 pm

and what about multicellularity?
then devoroucytes will have they major advantage when alone, wheter they are part of a complex genome or not

very visually appealing creatures are made because tank swimmers ( keratyno-swimmers with a devoroucyte instead of a phago) have some advantadge against alone devoroucytes, and they still deadly

and I was thinking of another cell type...

carbonocytes (or with other name I dunno)
they'll be cells that only protect themselves, and they'll have the advantadge of spending less energy, and probably having a longer life without reproducing, and the disadvantadge of course, they only protect themselves
I was thinking also in redistributing the order in which cells are unlocked

*you start with photocyte as always
*then phagocyte
*flagellocyte
*devoroucyte
*keratynocyte
-probably carbonocyte
*nitrocyte
*lypocyte
*gleucocyte
*virocyte

+notice I only included v42 cells, I still don't understand the full complexity of new cell types, so I don't get where they'll fit well
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY