Some Questions

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Science Nerd

Some Questions

Post by Science Nerd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 am

Hello. :) I wanted to ask some questions regarding the new version

I observed that I don't get any results from trying to make oscillating neurocytes with random mutations. Is the oscillator preset function affected by radiation?
I also think that senseocytes are sort of redundant as stereocytes are better in that they can pinpoint the direction of the stimuli. Why need add two cell types that don't have much difference instead of just one that can do both?
bwisialo

Re: Some Questions

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:51 am

Hi :)

The selections you make in the preset determine the values that the 4 channels are set to. Yes, I'm almost certain that with radiation the values that the channels are set to can change. Check the values, apply radiation, then check again for changes.

Senseocytes have good uses, where Stereocytes could be used but where Senseocytes have advantages. For example, in Extermination, you can use Senseocytes to trigger Devorocyte bombs just like the substrate species. In this case, you want the bombs to go off regardless of direction; or rather, you want all directions to have the same value. Senseocytes can be used to shut off Flagellocytes as a strategy for Avoidance. Again, if my swimmers are getting near the center cells, I want them stop regardless of the direction, with all directions having the same effect. Yes, Senseocytes have limited uses, but there are cases where they have advantages. I've thought of other cases in the past but I've forgotten. ;)
amor fati
Science Nerd

Post by Science Nerd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks! :D Just one more thing, how long would you expect to get species like that in Balloons and Friction?
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:58 am

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You have a rudimentary Balloon (and Friction) species and are wondering how long it would take evolutiin to solve the problem? If that's the question, I'd say these challenges have threshold points. If you've got a ballon that's almost getting off the ground, evolution can help you over the threshold but you have to get to the threshold on your own. If your balloon is almost able to complete the challenge, evolution can help enhance your species, but you'll probably have to tweak your species over the threshold. These points are even more true for Friction.
amor fati