Play Store Icon Experiment: Betting!!!

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.

Which is the winner?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:06 am

Original
40%
Swimmer
20%
Smart Swimmer
40%
Four Different
No votes

Total votes: 5
Petter
Site Admin

Play Store Icon Experiment: Betting!!!

Post by Petter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:06 am

Hi All,
I've decided to run a real world experiment :P. If you search Cell Lab in Play Store now, then you will see one out of four different icons for the game. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see which one is more effective. I.e, we will see how many downloaded each "version". The actual app is the same though, just different icons shown in play store. The options are shown below.

Now I want you to place your bet on which you think the winner will be :D. Please order them like 1st place, 2nd place, ... I also make a poll so we can see the average, but please also write so we can see who made the best guesses :P. Feel free to motivate your guesses, it will be interesting to hear what you think a good Play Store tactic is :).

Cheers,
Petter
icon.png
Original
swimDiagBR.png
Swimmer
smart.png
Smart Swimmer
four.png
Four Different
Sakaaaaa

Re: Play Store Icon Experiment: Betting!!!

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:28 am

Very nice! I think this should be interesting :) . I think it should change with every major update, to keep it nice and new. I got the smart swimmer. My opinion on the smart swimmer is that it's a bit "complex" for an icon. I'm not sure which one will win though. I like the flagellate one, it's not too complex.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:57 am

Here's my guess:

1. Original
2. Smart Swimmer
3. Swimmer
4. Four Different

Here is why:

The Original is the clearest one of all pictures. It displays a cell in the most simple way thus transporting the message "this is Cell Lab, it's about cells" in the most precise and understandable way.

The Smart Swimmer looks the most interesting. "This is Cell Lab, it's about experimenting with cells". You see how the message slightly changes. Which is good in its own way but it lacks clarity compared to the original. Therefore my #2.

The Swimmer is clearer than the Smart Swimmer and more interesting than the Original. But it's also less clear than the Original and less interesting than the Smart Swimmer and that way trying to be both it doesn't achieve either well enough to compare to the above 2.

The Four Different is just messy. My eye doesn't even know where to look. For me it doesn't achieve anything but confusion making it my definite choice for the last rank.

One more advantage the Original has over all the others is the colors. It's using one primary color vs 2-4 secondary ones that are rather faint and don't look coordinated. The simple clear green definitely is a plus for the Original.

That actually leads me to another idea for an experiment. If keeping the original, which color would get more clicks: green, red or blue?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:58 am

I guess I should also place my bet before the results arrive (probably first data tmrw but I'll not post until a bit later to give more people a chance to place their bets),

1: Smart Swimmer
2: Swimmer
3: Original
4: Four Different

It's hard to tell how most users find Cell Lab but I assume most find it by searching something in Play Store, hopefully they are actually looking for something like Cell Lab, but this might not be the case. After doing a search you see a long list of these icons, and the name of the app together with the developers name, and the rating. I think most users just skim through the icons to see if they see something that stands out. If something looks interesting they might read the name, or even open the page. Past that point I don't think the icon matters so much, it's more about screenshots, description, reviews.

Some keywords that cell lab show up near the top for (depends on country though):
  • cell
    organism
    evolution
    sandbox
I think the original icon is kind of non-descriptive. They just see a very simple cell that doesn't look very interesting, although it's kind of neat. If you search "cell" there will be many images of cells and they all look much more interesting to me. Searching evolution gives a bunch of clicker games with funny icons that are very non-descriptive.

I think when users see the Smart Swimmer they will see that it is kind of composed of different but similar parts and hopefully realize that they can make such a thing in the game. That way by seeing the icon they will immediately get an idea of what the game is about and hopefully it was close to what they searched for. I think the swimmer is the same but just a bit less interesting. The four different should also look interesting, but it's not so coherent and somehow doesn't look so professional so I think the non-pro look together with the low rating will deter users.

Alast's point about the colors is interesting. This is probably quite important too. I tried to make kind of appealing choices but maybe I didn't do a very good job :P. My plan is to finish this experiment and pick the winning design. Then remake it using a few different colors, perhaps even a background.

In summary, I don't think having a nice looking icon is most important. It should stand out and give the user an idea of what the gameplay might be, that is appealing to them.

Cheers,
Petter
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Haha, then cell lab would have Cell Lab LeafGreen, FireRed, and um SkyBlue versions, each with different challenges and cell types :) .

Each icon tells a different message, the first one tells the message "this game is about cells".

The flagellate says "you can make things with cells in this game"

The smart swimmer says "this game is about experimenting with cells and creating cool stuff"

The four cells one says "this is a messy game about cells, here, take a look at four of them"
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Eh petter, the smart swimmer would be better cuz 90% of peeps on Google Play are just window shopping just like when I found this game, so it's important to make it clear this game is unique and fun just by the icon at first and then a great description and complex organisms on the screenshots.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Ok, if you favor the Smart Swimmer anyway, maybe you should just go with it :-) I would suggest a color setup like this then:

Just as inspiration :-)
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Actually, I might change the orientation of the Flagellocytes a bit then to not have the flagellae and the antennae of the Stereocyte overlap so much and that way show more details. Who cares that that would be less efficient in the actual game.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks! I would put the stereocyte in the front though to make it less cluttered. What I favor doesn't matter though, I'll just pick the design that gets most downloads :P. I find it quite fascinating that one can accurately measure human behaviour like this. By doing this kind of experiment a few rounds one could end up with a pretty "optimal" design that is very hard to predict beforehand.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Ah, yea, I did the same thing for the one I posted but it's hardly noticeable. I wonder what direction it should be pointing though, maybe another experiment in the future :)