Play Store Icon Experiment: Betting!!!

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.

Which is the winner?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:06 am

Original
40%
Swimmer
20%
Smart Swimmer
40%
Four Different
No votes

Total votes: 5
Alast

Re: Play Store Icon Experiment: Betting!!!

Post by Alast » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Definitely up as that's felt positive. But not straight up, rather diagonal to feel dynamic and more natural. Pointing to the right is probably very comon then as that's the way most people read.

From a composition few point (I'm also a photographer ;) ) I prefer a little bending in the organism like it comes from the left and is just about to turn upwards. Again makes it look more natural.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:43 pm

It should be a gif :lol:
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:50 am

Trying to imagine what I see if I have no idea what Cell Lab is... ;)

1: Swimmer -- I see something with multiple cells that will presumably be mobile and involved in reproduction

2: Original -- I see something simple that's like a logo

3: Smart swimmer -- I see something that's maybe or probably an organism, but that thing in front doesn't look like a (biological) "cell" exactly, and I really don't know what I'm looking at

4: Four Different -- I see some different cells and you probably do different things with them, so (insert a vague impession) ;)

A Myocyte swimmer might be a good way to combine the straightforward impression of a swimmer with complexity akin to the smart swimmer. I think the colors of the Myocyte swimmer in Deception are quite pretty :)

For an icon, I think a smart swimmer with different colors for the different cells is more interesting and suggestive than a one-color swimmer.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:02 pm

You might also consider the level of zoom. Eg, the swimmer looks a bit small and doesn't use as much of the image size as the Original or Smart Swimmer.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for your guesses, :). The first data has arrived but I'll wait for some better statistics before revealing the winner. Also waiting a bit for anyone else who might want to place their bets.

Zooming is another factor that I might try. I kept a small margin around the edges but maybe that is unnecessary. Let's test that too :). Btw there might be a margin around the original too, the original file is on my other computer so I picked another but pretty similar to show you here. Or maybe it's exactly the same, not sure.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Actually, the swimmer icon shows up on my app list. Unlike the image you posted, it does seem to be zoomed in to take up the full width of the icon square.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 am

Ok, the results are in!

The current number of installs (that installed while the experiment was running):
original: 100%
swimmer: 165%
smart swimmer: 129%
four different: 113%

Total number of installs:
original: 100%
swimmer: 198%
smart swimmer: 139%
four different: 127%

So it seems like the simple swimmer was the clear winner in the number of downloads, but a slightly bigger ratio of people actually kept the game for the original version. But still more people seem to be enjoying the game (or maybe they just didn't uninstall it yet..) for the swimmer version so I think I will go for a variation of that one.

Any thoughts on the results? Right decision to change icon?

I will run a new experiment soon, I'm thinking:
- the winning swimmer
- another identical but with different colors (ideas?)
- a simple flagellocyte (color ideas?)
- a smart swimmer with less cells, maybe just no egg

Something more complex than the original was better, the smart swimmer was too much, so I want to see if the swimmer strikes a good balance or if we could go a little more complex or a little less.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:01 am

I had a good luck guess. :)

My suggestion for something more complex is still a Myocyte swimmer, with a bend in it. I think it's clear that it's a swimmer, and pretty clear how it moves. The Stereocyte is less prominent than in the two Flagellocyte swimmer, which is maybe a good thing -- the Stereocyte perhaps gives a somewhat more mechanical, electrical, or odd impression than a biological one.

It only makes sense as an organism in specific (unusual?) environments, but a Flagellocyte-Glueocyte swimmer with bending "hairs" would look much more dynamic and striking than a regular swimmer.

I'll play with and post some color combinations.
amor fati
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 am

I didnt download the other versions, so does your progress transfer?.

Ps a forum chat area would be great.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:45 am

It is still one game, but the icons are different.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein