How Neurocytes, Stereocytes, Senseocytes, Stemocytes work

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
GreenTom

Re: How Neurocytes, Stereocytes, Senseocytes, Stemocytes wor

Post by GreenTom » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks. I set the b value to some small non-zero number and that fixed it. It looks like the oscillators get stuck if both of the signal levels are zero. I guess the petri dishes start with a bit of hormones in them to get the oscillators going?
Twinfreaks

Re: How Neurocytes, Stereocytes, Senseocytes, Stemocytes work

Post by Twinfreaks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:16 pm

I've noticed the oscillator is effected by outside signals.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, when Neurocytes are set to react to signal substances with signal substances it doesn't matter where those substances come from. The oscillator basically makes the Neurocyte create a feedback loop with 2 substances creating the one based on the concentration of the other. That means it does react to substances. And that can be impacted by substances from the outside.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Petter, I was wondering if you could explain the issue addressed earlier in the thread. It's a phenomenon I saw quite a few times recently. Sometimes a Neurocyte will not oscillate even though it is at a seemingly appropriate preset, but it will oscilate if you change Channel 1 to a= +/- very small value. It's as if the substances cancel one another out on the preset, and the change to "a" creates the imbalance needed to get oscillation. But that’s sort of a guess. So, why doesn't it oscillate on the preset? And, when the preset does work, why-- where does the imbalance come from?
amor fati
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 pm

bwisialo wrote:Petter, I was wondering if you could explain the issue addressed earlier in the thread. It's a phenomenon I saw quite a few times recently. Sometimes a Neurocyte will not oscillate even though it is at a seemingly appropriate preset, but it will oscilate if you change Channel 1 to a= +/- very small value. It's as if the substances cancel one another out on the preset, and the change to "a" creates the imbalance needed to get oscillation. But that’s sort of a guess. So, why doesn't it oscillate on the preset? And, when the preset does work, why-- where does the imbalance come from?
It was happening on my "goldfish", because it starts as a lipocyte. The initial goldfish I'd seed would work, but any children wouldn't move. I used the other suggestion - having a neurocyte sprinkle some neurotransmitters to move the concentration away from 0.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Cells start with a small amount of signal substance in all channels. If it at some point it is exactly 0 in both channels, then i will not start. Under usual circumstances that should not happen. It could if you for example have a preset oscillator for 0 connected cells, but you have 1. Then oscillation will not work and after a while all ss will be 0. If the connected cell dies at that point, it will not start again. I guess I could add a some kind of tiny noise to get oscillations going in cases like that.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for the answer! :) Yes, noise to get it going would be great. I'd think it would also get them going sooner.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 am

Yes, sounds like a good idea. I think everyone has been in that situation where a Neurocyte wouldn't start oscillating and not understanding why. If we could prevent that, that would be a good improvement :)
Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:25 am

Guys, please help. :cry:
How do neurocyte works? I already tried to figure it out from an avoider organism (It is a smart prey with dual acceleration by tragmatis), and still can't get it.
Plss, teach me how? :D
Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
Can I see your cell's COLOR,
And copy its HUE?
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Neurocytes have 3 possible functions. They can:

1. Submit a Signal Substance into attached cells constantly. Simply pick the Signal Substance you want it to submit and move the slider left or right depending on whether you want it to submit a negative or positive level of substance.

2. Submit an oscillating level of 2 Signal Substances. It's best to use the Oscillator Preset button for that to get the 4 channels set to a good initial setup. Crawling organisms are enabled through this functionality as their Myocyte can react to the oscillating signal levels to simulate movements similar to a caterpilar.

3. Translate signals incoming signals into a new signal. This is the master level and needs quite some practice to do well.

Looking at an Accelerating Avoider you're basically trying to run before you can walk :) I suggest you first practice the first 2 functionalities to understand those before trying signal translation.