How Nitrates and Nitrocytes work

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
bwisialo

How Nitrates and Nitrocytes work

Post by bwisialo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Cells need nitrates in order to split. If a substrate does not have nitrates, cells must get nitrates from Nitrocytes. However, the cells will also lose nitrates when they split and will lose nitrates over time. So, they need to keep getting nitrates in order to keep splitting. There are a several ways cells can get nitrates from Nitrocytes.

When a Nitrocyte splits, its child cells will have nitrates. Since cells lose nitrates, the child cells will only split a couple times before they need more nitrates.

Nitrocytes spread nitrates into connected cells. If a cell is attached to a Nitrocyte, it will always have all the nitrates it needs: the Nitrocyte does not run out of nitrates. A cell that is attached to the cell that is attached to the Nitrocyte will also get nitrates, but less.

Glueocytes can attach to Nitrocytes and absorb nitratres. This is really the same as the previous way of getting nitrates, but a Glueocyte allows for different possibilities. For example, one species can use Glueocytes to get nitrates from another species that has Nitrocytes. Finally, Devorocytes also absorb nitrates from a Nitrocyte, but they do not need any adhesin. When they come into contact with a Nitrocyte, they absorb its mass and nitrates.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Re: How Nitrates and Nitrocytes work

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 am

In a nitro swimmer challenge, in which there was a simple devoroucyte species that steals nitrates, it worked because there it was simple swimmers.
But, Do you think it would be possible to develop a smart predator in a nitrateless substrate which prey is a smart nitroswimmer?

I was thinking that this is only viable if the devoroucyte steals nitrates not just from nitrocytes, but from any cell that contains nitrates. In my experiments my predators don't seem to survive.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:52 am

Yeah, I think that could work. I would put a Nitrocyte in the smart swimmer, so there were as many nitrates in them as possible. The design would be the same as a predator, with a Phagocyte instead of Devorocyte, and Nitrocyte instead of Keratinocyte. And plenty of food so that there lots of Nitroswimmers.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 am

I made a prey with nitrates that predators can survive on, while the predators have no nitrocyte of their own. They are fairly successful, though newly birthed predators sometimes fail on their last cell split (to make the devorocyte in the front) due to insufficient nitrates, and end up chasing prey with no way to eat them. The prey is based on bwisialo's suggestion of a predator layout.

Substrate (should work in beta v94): https://www.dropbox.com/s/a65mjojn3pv5u ... trate?dl=0
K-man

Post by K-man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 pm

You forgot to mention that secrocytes use nitrates continuosly.
"Place the devourocytes here..."
-Cellbert Einstein
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 pm

He didn't forget ;) At the time this was written that wasn't the case but came with a later version.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!