Cell Lab PC development team

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Nayus

Re: Cell Lab PC development team

Post by Nayus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:53 pm

ehsahr wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running CL on an Android Emulator first?
I tried that: 3 different emulators but all of them were either direct ad/malicious-plug.in-malware or simply didn't work. :?
Do you or anyone know about some reliable emulator? I think it would be a temporary solution while Petter gets the much needed time to finish his PhD and then slowly start the transition to PC. :)
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 am

Blue stacks won't have virus, it didn't worked so well tough
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:08 pm

I am a programmer (undergrad Computer Engineering student), though not a game developer. I would like to work on this. Petter, I understand your stance on this, but I would still like to work on this. Would you be okay with me trying to make a version based on the mobile game independently? You would of course retain the intellectual property.

To do this I need permission to use the idea, and at some point, if you like it, to use your graphics for the cell types (I am not good at that stuff).

I don't want your source code, just permission for the idea. Also, there is no guarantee that I'll get anywhere, but I hope to.

My Steam name is Talonj123, if you want it.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Can't seem to find you on steam

btw im Reaper Elite on steam
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:40 pm

@Talonj123: Sure you can develop a similar game if you want, though I think it might be more worthwhile to make a different type of game, I kind of think it's easier to come up with ideas/mechanics for games than to actually make them so if you're going to make a game anyways it might be more fun to come up with a new idea. Also better chance to get people playing your game :). Though I understand you might feel differently. There are no graphics resources in terms of textures or so, it's all just code. There's literally a piece of code that calculates the color of every pixel. That way I can define the cell shapes with mathematical functions and allow a lot of zoom.
Reaper Elite

Post by Reaper Elite » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Yo petter you ok if i make a steam group for Cell Lab?
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 pm

What is that?
Reaper Elite

Post by Reaper Elite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:14 pm

On steam you can make groups for your friends where you can chat and start forum like discussions. Just make a free account there and find me on Steam and add me as a friend and i'll invite you to the right group, like the dev team for the programmers and Cell Lab for the players of CL where you can chat and stuff

ps: you can be in multple groups at once.
I'm Reaper Elite on steam and I'll head each group cuz iv been on Steam for 6 years
Last edited by Reaper Elite on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I made a repo at https://github.com/jtalbert123/Cell-Lab-Remake, I haven't started and would appreciate any recommendations on how to start. I can't imagine that Java Swing is a good game option for UI, but I don't have a lot of experience there. Also, I would be fine with another language (please not Python though) if someone has a good idea on that front.
Hydra

Post by Hydra » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:55 am

I've programmed for a few years and went to school for it as well as graphic design plus have degrees. I'd offer to help but I don't know if I would have time but I can recommend C# as a decent language. Unity alone actually provides a C# option. I can't remember since it's been a while but I believe the Unreal engine uses C++ which is powerful. Both languages would definitely be viable for detailed mathematical calculations, especially if whoever decides to work on this wants to develop actual textures and shaders to allow some beautiful flexibility. Unity also has a version of Java that it uses as well plus provides a useful set of 2D tools. Both graphics engines are multiplatform as well if that is an interest.