Cell Lab PC development team

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Nayus

Re: Cell Lab PC development team

Post by Nayus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:36 am

If I might add my two cents, I don't know much about programming (only Python) but one thing I think is vital to have in the pc version is backwards compatibility compared to the mobile version.

Even though a computer version could have more features, wouldn't it create a gap between both of them? If would be bad if some files can only be open with one of the two systems, basically it'd divide the people in two groups.

Idk that's my opinion maybe the pc version could be the next step and shouldn't be stopped by the mobile limitations.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 am

Perfectly right as its like a game only available on X-Box when you only use PlayStation (PS2 user here) which is backwards compatible cept PS4 (i sided with PlayStation), yeah it bothers me too.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 pm

@Hydra
I definitely a fan of C#'s ease of use, I've been using it for 4-5 years now. I didn't know Unity had a C# interface, I thought it was Javascript. I have nearly no idea how sharers work, other than being a OpenGL/DirectX thing. (they are right?)

@Nayus
I agree, it would be important to me to at least have the ability to convert files. This will require some involvement from Petter at some point though. For example, I calculate the energy expenditure (in my horrible WinForms mockup version, see the repo: https://github.com/jtalbert123/Cell-Lab-Remake) as Cell_Surface_Area/Salinity (I only have one cell type, so they're all the same rate). This means that salinity of ~0 is insta-death, and salinity of inf is maximum life (no age limit imposed right now). The android version uses a different calculation (unknown) and uses range 0 to 1, if I recall. Any development team would need to chat with Petter about how he does these eventually to make them compatible, but that can come after the bulk of the simulation/physics/UI is finished, assuming that the code is factored well.
Hydra

Post by Hydra » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 pm

@Talonj123
Yeah Unity has had a C# option for as long as I can remember. Programming shaders is a different language though and haven't touched it much myself. IIRC it looks a lot like XML. Plus with the inside itself there is also the ability to draw pixels directly to textures as well and there are adding to make it easier if one wanted to draw procedural maps through the engine live.. I honestly haven't done any game design since unity 3 was out but I recall all kinds of powerful features have been added since. The 2D tools has had me very intrigued as well and have been meaning to check it out.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Hey guys, a quick update, I have some basic simulation working in unity, including cells splitting according to a basic genome.

Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 pm

i see we got some progress, great. :)
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 am

Yeah, I'm working on adhesin, but Unity keeps crashing when I debug why I have too many springs (extra ones are coming from somewhere). Other debug attempts have gone fine, so that's tonight's problem.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm

@Petter
If you have a little free time, can you describe how you go about deciding to break adhesin, particularily when a cell divides and has Keep Adhesin on a child? What I'm trying either results in adhesin not breaking, or breaking too often. My particular problem is with applying the Make Adhesin rule, the cell's initial velocity from spawning and being pushed away makes the new cells sometimes be too far away and moving too far before the adhesin spring can reel them back. If I increase the threshold for distance breaking the adhesin, then sometimes adhesin connections don't break when they clearly shouldn't exist (going through another cell).
wefhy

Post by wefhy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 pm

@Talonj123
Do you(or someone else) know how is *.genome file built? It looks good only in hex mode and I see something like 80-byte length sections. I can analyze it with many simple genomes, but maybe someone already managed to read it?
I have plans to cooperate with this version of cell lab.
Your project already looks quite good. I'm not familiar with unity, but I think, I'll start making genome editor. Something which is compatible with both your PC version and original game and what could be used to make more complex genomes(It could of course take me a lot of time since I have many other things to do).
Later I'll merge with your project(if you like it) and decide if I want to continue development or leave it for someone else.
Hidden flaw never remains hidden.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 pm

@wefhy
1.) I have a start on the genome editor now in Unity. Feel free to work form that (I'm stalled for now due to coursework). I don't know if it is possible to integrate external (not made for unity) UI components into a unity game, so we may not be able to merge an external UI later. That said, some users may be interested in an external genome editor tool.

2.) I would guess that the genome is Serializable in Java, and that he just dumps it to a file. In that case, it will be ~99.99999999999% impossible for me to make a Unity game compatible with the file type. The workaround is for someone to add a custom save file format to the mobile version (with a header to tell which file type it is) that uses manual serialization, or maybe an XML serializer if Java has one built in. This will result in an implementation-independent format, that can be used on PC/Mac/Linux as well.