Cell Lab PC development team

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Talonj123

Re: Cell Lab PC development team

Post by Talonj123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 pm

I really like the visualized tree, if I understand the screenshot right.

Thanks
wefhy

Post by wefhy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Ok, so I see it's not only me who like this idea ;) Thanks for comments. If you have any suggestions, it's the right time.
Talonj, I don't know Unity well, if I make it in another project, will we be able to move it quite easily and merge with rest of your game? I mean switching between interfaces and so on...
Hidden flaw never remains hidden.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:41 pm

I don't know for sure. From what I do know, the best bet to be able to is to make the whole UI be a single prefab (either the whole canvas, or just the controls). That way, it can be pasted in the project folder, then added to the scene as desired.
wefhy

Post by wefhy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Ok, so I'll try in this way.
It could take a month or so, since I don't have much time to work on it.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:29 am

That is a sweet-looking genome editor wefhy. I recognized the Blender UI immediately. I've used both Python and Blender for years, but have never really worked with Blender's scripting or game engine. Seems like it would make a great platform for a PC cell game--imagine the possibilities for 3D organisms!

Would you be willing to share the source or .blend file for that? I'd kinda like to tinker with it :-)
wefhy

Post by wefhy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 am

@wepcaplet:
I learned using pynodes yesterday, I just downloaded example code from github and made some searches in documentation, so I'm not sure you really want to tinker with it ;) Maybe easier thing would be just making node group(since both only looks fine and don't do anything specific for now). But ok, I uploaded it ;)
What about blender... I use its scripting sometimes and it's pretty good and intuitive(I mean for things like making addons), but I also tried game engine and... it's terrible :P Performance is bad and it uses blocks everywhere(you have to connect sensor with script and then script with action and so on... weird). I wouldn't like making games with it.

And your concept of 3D cell lab... It could be really interesting, but I think it'll be also very hard to balance. It'll be too easy to for organism to reproduce or too hard to find food. Even worse for predators. Genomes will me more complex and editing them also(split angles in 3-D, at least 3 flagellocytes to move in space and two substances for stereocyte - one for x axis and one for y axis). Another thing is, that the only way to make it fluent(there'll be much more cells on the map!) would be writing our own physics engine which I think would have to compute physics on GPU.
Attachments
nodes2.blend.zip
(78.37 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:49 pm

On our steam group we have a pc development thread there too.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Lordposeidon

Post by Lordposeidon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello coders,
Who's participating in Google code jam
An expert in anything was once a beginner
PaulHubert

Post by PaulHubert » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:17 pm

I am an experienced java programmer (mainly, but I know many other languages) and I also have a lot of experience in 2D physics-based modular multiplayer games. I really want to participate in production, even if it is completely unpaid, as I see a lot of potential in it. Also, I highly suggest someone creates a slack, or even better, a discord channel, instead of a forum. I have a hard time dealing with a forum like this.
Talonj123

Post by Talonj123 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:08 pm

@wefhy @wapcaplet

What's the status right now?