Dying cells

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
TygrCZ

Dying cells

Post by TygrCZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:51 am

I have a problem... And I have no idea what do I have to do... :?
So, all of my cells die out after a while, if they don't do anything. :( For example: if they are splitting, they will not die soon. But if they just stay and don't do anything, death is coming for them. My questions are:
1st: Why does that happen?
2nd: What should I do, so it won't happen?
Thanks for answering this question in advance. :)
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Dying cells

Post by Petter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:14 am

Nothing you can do I'm sorry, all cells die at age 20 h, and lipocytes at age 60 h
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:26 am

Dammit... I wanted to at least see my creation at full form. :x
Btw, why does it happen? I just want to know... :)
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:38 pm

It is to avoid a build-up of cells that can't reproduce anyways, if an organism hasn't been able to reproduce within 20 h it is very unlikely it will ever reproduce. Imagine running an experiment with some sunlight and contaminate with random cells. Every photocyte with its split mass maxed will just stay on the petri dish forever and ever...

Why can't your organism reproduce within 20 h? One cell could potentially multiply to a trillion cells in that time in cell lab.. Or if just one of your cells construct the whole organism (often not the best design) you could still potentially get 40 cells, or if you're on very limited food so cells split in 4 times the minimum time you could still get 10 cells with just _one_ cell dividing each time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Petter
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Maybe a button for "Creation mode", or something like that, which will be:
Only usable in Experiments.
Only for your cells.

I could help Builders to create things, that will work finely. Because if Flagellocytes die, organism can't swim. If keratinocyte dies, the whole organism will die too.
It makes a few problems... That button would really help.
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Science Nerd

Post by Science Nerd » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi :) I also have an issue with the cells dying, in this case the lipocytes. They seem to die off rather quickly when they are "filling" slowly. They dont even have a chance of splitting even once. And they only last 20 hrs when i timed them before they disappeared.
Nexter's lab

Post by Nexter's lab » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 am

If cells do not do anything, they still use energy to live, and because of that, they will shrink and then die.
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Nexter's lab wrote:If cells do not do anything, they still use energy to live, and because of that, they will shrink and then die.
Yeah, but what if you have photocytes/phagocytes/whatever giving energy next to it, giving energy to that exact cell? I just don't want it to die if it has energy. ;)
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
uber5001

Post by uber5001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 am

Petter wrote:Nothing you can do I'm sorry, all cells die at age 20 h, and lipocytes at age 60 h
I just tested that, and it looks like just the opposite, all cells die at age 60h, except lipocytes, which die at age 20h. Bug?

Also, this timed lifespan rule seems silly. It's only practical application seems to be for generating random cells. Maybe remove the feature and add it in as a checkbox in experiment mode?
Petter wrote:Why can't your organism reproduce within 20 h?
I'm trying to make lipocyte swimmers that can survive with super-limited food, and still have a decent number of cells in play. To make sure it doesn't run the food supply dry, it stores energy for ~20h-40h before splitting. Of course, it dies at 20h... so... :cry:

It's hard to fill up a lipocyte without it dying due to time. I'd guess a fully filled lipocyte could perform consecutive splits with all that energy.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:15 am

I'd say wait for the update and see how it looks for you then :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!