iOS port

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
flintza

iOS port

Post by flintza » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:21 am

Hi there :)

A friend recently showed me Cell Lab and I was blown away.. and then quickly disappointed to find there's no iOS version of it :(

I see there is a PC port underway, or at least conceptual development is underway. I assume the reason for not considering iOS is the original being built in Android-native Java and there being no native Java support on iOS?

Would an iOS port be considered if a dev partner could be found that could port it using something like Unity or Monodev? That would also allow for direct porting of large parts of the game directly to PC and other platforms.

Alternatively, have any Java-to-Objective C porting solutions been considered?
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Re: iOS port

Post by Reaper Elite » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

That would make pc porting so much easier :) cool idea.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
flintza

Post by flintza » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Whew, I'm glad to get such a positive response on it :) Yes it probably would make the PC port simpler, in fact it would in many ways start as a PC port since getting it going on PC before worrying too much about device deployment would ease things.

I'm a game dev with experience in (among other things) Unity. I have shipped multiple titles across a variety of platforms. I'd be interested in taking a look at the codebase to evaluate the challenge of a Unity port. Would mailing the author directly on the Gmail account listed on the site be the best next step? I didn't want to just cold-mail, I know how annoying those are :)
Last edited by flintza on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper Elite

Post by Reaper Elite » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Send petter a pm with your proposal and see if it goes through.
flintza

Post by flintza » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Will do, thanks :)
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey,
I would be happy to partner with someone to release an ios version. It would then be a paid game since creating that I am not doing for fun. Learning how ios gui works and how objective c works seems a bit painful to me since the only use for it is on iphones.. The problem is however that I am not willing to just send the source code to someone I have never met. I though do not think the source will be necessary for most of the work, most time will surely be used to just rewrite all the gui stuff. So I'm thinking some compromise can be reached.

At the moment I think making a PC version is more interesting. With a pc version there might not even be demand for an ios version. You say you have experience with unity, I'm actually thinking of going for lwjgl since I can use java then.
flintza

Post by flintza » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi Petter,
Thanks for the reply.

I completely understand your concerns about just handing over source code access. If/when we get to that point we can discuss what can be done to make it acceptable :) The reason I'd think a porter would need access to the code is that the simulation itself is what's really important here. You'd most likely need to rebuild the UI for different form factors (Desktop vs mobile), but the sim and its representation would be consistent across platforms.

The reason I suggest Unity is its existing support across multiple platforms, including iOS. In other words, a port to this would be maintainable across PC, iOS and Android among others. Of course the fact that your current game/app is fully Java, and that you'd be able to do a windows port already using Java does make the switch to something like Unity hard to justify just for the sake of iOS without someone else actually doing that work for you. There might be a good way to share the sim logic between different platforms, say as a c library exposed to Java and C#, but that may also just be a general pain and maybe only something to look at later.

I didn't ask you about free/paid because I thought we'd see how much interest there was from your side first. I offered to take a look as potentially taking this on as a passion project, based on how much work I think might be involved. Partly because I just want to play the game, and partly because it's in the ballpark of the kind of game I'd like to work on at the moment. If you weren't particularly interested in a Unity port across PC and iOS, and I ended up working on the iOS version, I might even look at doing it in Atomic as an exercise in actually getting a game out using that engine :)

As far as demand goes, iOS is a huge platform to target, particularly if you _are_ looking at some kind of paid or IAP model. There are definitely more Android devices out there, but the landscape is significantly more fragmented than iOS's. That may just not affect your game at all though.
flintza

Post by flintza » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Oh, and I did have a quick look at lwjgl, and while there's talk of an iOS port of it using a transpiler, that doesn't look like it's anywhere near ready for primetime :)
Reaper Elite

Post by Reaper Elite » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Will us ever important mods get it for free ? And will the PC version be free or paid (then the previous question still applies)
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
Catisfluffy

Post by Catisfluffy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Don't forget Mac users!