Poking for Community

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
The_Robs

Poking for Community

Post by The_Robs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 am

First of all : Hello.

I am a brand new user of the application, and I have to admit I fell in love with it. I will try to limit the amount of fandom in this post however. I found the game immensely challenging, and I get the feeling I am barely scratching the surface on my own. I also noticed the YouTube presence if remarkably low, most likely due to the fact it's harder to record on mobile. So I am starting to run low on information. I have started the process of going through the Forums to read and find more for myself. But I can't help but feel a tad overwhelmed, so I thought about maybe starting a thread asking for help.

It's also a good way to know how active this place is and make contact with the community. Hopefully it will be a point of access for others later on. I do not mind re-working this post if necessary. I haven't found any note on Post Behaviour in this part of the forum, so I went for it. I'll understand if it gets taken down.

Happy to meet any who responds.
I will introduce the app to a few communities I am part of who might be interested, this concept is fan-ta-stic.
I have noticed Petter may be active on here, so : *hats off* Thank you so much, if there is anything I can do to help, I'll gladly share my time.
Alast

Re: Poking for Community

Post by Alast » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Hey, and welcome to the forum. If you need help with challenges, you might want to post there. For general questions your right here ;-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
K-man

Post by K-man » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 pm

The_Robs wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 am
I also noticed the YouTube presence if remarkably low, most likely due to the fact it's harder to record on mobile.
Once the PC version is out, it will probably be easier to record and therefore more YouTube presence.
Oh, and welcome to Cell Lab!
"Place the devourocytes here..."
-Cellbert Einstein
The_Robs

Post by The_Robs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank to both of you.

K-man => I did see a few glimpses of the PC version I will be happy to get my hands on it and no doubt content will boom at that stage.

I did follow the step-by-step videos to unlock the cells up to the point where I felt lost even doing that (Deception mission), but saying that I know what I am doing would be a blatant lie ;)

Right now I am working with the Ocean Petri Dish that I found somewhere on this forum, attempting to make a more advanced version of the Swimmers that could live in there. So far, no luck. The environment doesn't seem enclined to let large creatures grow. I haven't worked with mutation too much and for some reason the recursive nature of the L-system is beyond my visualization skills. But I'll get better.

I'd love to have a Petri that is favorable to life, whilst not making it grow too fast. Any clues maybe ?
Vitoryuiti

Post by Vitoryuiti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 pm

The_Robs wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Thank to both of you.

K-man => I did see a few glimpses of the PC version I will be happy to get my hands on it and no doubt content will boom at that stage.

I did follow the step-by-step videos to unlock the cells up to the point where I felt lost even doing that (Deception mission), but saying that I know what I am doing would be a blatant lie ;)

Right now I am working with the Ocean Petri Dish that I found somewhere on this forum, attempting to make a more advanced version of the Swimmers that could live in there. So far, no luck. The environment doesn't seem enclined to let large creatures grow. I haven't worked with mutation too much and for some reason the recursive nature of the L-system is beyond my visualization skills. But I'll get better.

I'd love to have a Petri that is favorable to life, whilst not making it grow too fast. Any clues maybe ?
I have some tips to make big organism grow its good to have high quantity of food and higher salinity while for smart swimmers low viscosity, low nutrient rate, high salinity and medium or high food size dumb organisms mostly lives on mediun viscosity mediun nutrient rate, low to medium nutrient size and low to medium salinity and If you want to evolve organisms turn on only point mutation and low radiation and organisms with gamete (sexual reproduction) If you want cool results
The Cannon master!!!!!!
The_Robs

Post by The_Robs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am

Vitoryuiti thanks ! I appreciate the breakdown, I noticed today that setting up a Substrate is critical. I've been trying a few of the options today.

I like working on a map with Gravity and a light source above, although I struggle to have anything stick for now. I created a few different Petri dishes with various stats so I can experiment my future creations. I'm currently attempting to manually create Algeas (my biology background ain't perfect, so excuse the mistakes in terminology) that would live under any gravity.

I will share the substrates soon enough.
WhatTheSillyName

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:56 am

It is nice to see another new member join us.

I am also one of the members in the Russian community(VK). However, I don't know how to speak Russian because I am just a HongKonger. I will be glad to help you too~
Ya~
The_Robs

Post by The_Robs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 am

Thank you so much for the kind welcomes. I haven't been in a proper Forum in a while, feels good ! Glad to see there are a few active members. I will attempt to spark a few conversations and topics, maybe come up with a few challenges and creations.

I have stopped attempting to solve (cheat on) challenges and messed about with my own Petri dishes yesterday, to not-so-amazing results, but learned a lot ! I finally understand Mirror, although I think I'm not using it to its best.

I did manage to make an organism stick in the Gravity environment I had created. I had been looking at ways to make use of the Golgen ratio in my creations, so I needed to tune things to rotate by around 137 degrees. Except I messed up and used 127 everywhere instead. I'll post the resulting Algae Aurum here nontheless, while I rework it.

The substate contains no nutrient, since it doesn't need any. Light source above, weak gravity and density. Photocytes, Glueocytes and Buoyocytes are used to create the thing. No cell aging will create a good looking organism, whilst having it on leads to two helix-like structures that spit out dying cells. Doesn't really reproduce so far, it's really a beginner's attempt.

EDIT : If anyone cares to discuss nomenclature, naming of organisms, please do ! I'd love to know how to properly name my things.

EDIT 2 : Remade the links
Algae Aurum on Drive
Algae Aurum on Dropbox
Last edited by The_Robs on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WhatTheSillyName

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

Btw, always use a Dropbox to upload the substrate. It is recommended.
Because many players can't download the file from Google Drive(Including me :P)
Ya~
The_Robs

Post by The_Robs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 am

: DOUBLE POST :

I'm sorry I double post already, I simply wanted to propose a challenge to those of you who are interested, but I didn't want to be flooding the whole forum without getting to know some of you first.
Here's the story : I kept working on my "Sea Plate" (a small version of ueps' Ocean Ecosystem post) with 0.5 salinity, no nutrients, a 2.0 static friction, 75 viscosity. Light source comes from above, with range 0.5 and amount 1.0. Gravity is set at 0.333 with Density 0.5 and a 0.314 Gradient.

I modified my Algae to contain Photo, Glueo, Buoyo, and Lipocytes. I fixed the 127 angles back to 137 and mixed it up a little bit more. However it still does not reproduce in any way. I also noticed that Initial Conditions for the 'egg''s position meant everything, which leads me to this challenge.

__

Initial Conditions
Difficulty : Dumb Luck.

On board the ISS, your research team needs to establish the impact of test conditions on a living organism found on Mars.
Our allies in this effort provided an initial test Plate, containing an 'egg' of the organism under very specific conditions. They report that growth under those conditions gets the organism to reach a 45 cells entity before it dies out.
This amount is not sufficient for further research. They need you to create better conditions for the cell. One issue is : the ISS didn't receive the funding for the Biological Lab module. All you get are Tweezers, and time.

Objective : Using Optical Tweezers only, can you make the organism multiply to 150 cells ?
Secondary objective : Share your results with the allies, by saving the initial conditions of your best Plate.
__

I have, on one occasion, managed to have a beautifull plant growth that surpassed 200 cells. It collapsed due to the root dying out, but was almost reaching the entire lit areas of the plate.
Good luck.

EDIT : Remade the links
Initial Condition Challenge on Drive
Initial Condition Challenge on Dropbox
Last edited by The_Robs on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.