Neurocyte logic.

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Nirahiel

Neurocyte logic.

Post by Nirahiel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:55 am

What's the logic with the Neurocyte ?
I mean, I tried to check the values set when you choose an oscillator, and honestly I don't see how ax+0 != 0 when x is 0 (newly created Neurocyte shouldn't be emitting anything right ?)
Also select more than 2 channels for the ocillator crashes the game (I'm probably running beta )
Nirahiel, code lover since 1995.
Neurocyte simulator
Alast

Re: Neurocyte logic.

Post by Alast » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:58 am

You should discuss beta related topics in the according group and not here.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:58 pm

The thing is that the differential equation defined through these settings has eigenvalues with positive real parts, in English it means that it is unstable so a tiny perturbation will quickly grow exponentially. Then some non-linearities of the system set in and we get a bounded solution, but still oscillating. So it's true that ax+0 =0 when x is 0. But for a tiny x there will be some tiny output, and this output will make x slightly larger. Then the output will be even larger and x not so tiny any more and so on until x is large. To get this started x can not be exactly 0, for this i've added some microscopic initial values for the concentrations. An unstable system like this will not stay in meta-stable state for long in nature due to various imperfections, in silica we have to add these imperfections by hand :)
Nirahiel

Post by Nirahiel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 am

So can I assume that s1 to s4 start with a tiny value ? Or that they can never be zero ?
Neurocyte simulator
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 pm

They all start at 0.01 when you put them on the substrate but otherwise no other perturbations are made.
Nirahiel

Post by Nirahiel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Good to know. That helps a lot.
EDIT : I'm going to do more tests regarding this. We need some docs / wiki about this new system.

Here's the informations i gathered so far :
  • Each "substance" starts at 0.01
  • The amount emitted is updated each "tick".
  • Substances decay if they are not emitted, i still don't know how fast.
  • If two "lines" in the neurocyte outputs the same substance, I don't know yet if they are processed at the same time or sequentially.
    (Example, S1 was at 0.5, S2 was at 0.5, if first line does "output to S1 value of -1*S1+0 (thus making S1 -0.5) and 2nd line is "Output to S2 value of 1*S1+0" will it output 0.5 (the value at the beginning of the tick) or -0.5 (cause the value changed with the first line)
Neurocyte simulator