Fertile Ground

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: Fertile Ground

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I've thought about that "tilt" effect before. It would be cool to create a subtrate that actually worked like that--overproduction results in death. I suppose it could be like Avoidance but with some destructive Devorocyte species that gets hatched. But that’s not quite the same.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Actually Keep the Balance resembles that. If your organism gets too strong against the predator the Photocytes eventually take over the whole substrate killing everything else.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 pm

True! Right, overproductive parasites kill the host and die.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Actually, l produced a relatively fixed population range by having a Photo -- well, two -- split into itself and a Keratinocyte at an unequal split ratio. Edit: 600-660.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:21 pm

With a Lipocyte strand I got 872-874.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:53 pm

This is interesting. I wondered if the Lipo-strand needed to be a strand. It doesn't.

That made me wonder if the Neuro-strand needed to be a strand (leaving the split ratio at 50/50). It does. If they don't remain attached they live the default lifetime. When attached, they continue to be affected by the oscillation between Stemocyte and Photocyte.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Not quite sure I understand :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Which part? ;)

If "Keep adhesin" is ticked on the Photocyte that splits into itself and the Lipocyte (or splits into the Neurocyte-Stemocyte pair), it creates a strand. If "Keep Adhesin" is unticked, no strand.

At default Nutirent priority, Lipocytes will live the same amount of time whether they are in a strand or on their own. Same for Keratinocytes, etc. If the Photocyte's split ratio is 50/50, one Photocyte will produce a fixed plate population of 481. Shifting the split ratio in favor of the Photocyte reduces that number.

But the Neurocyte strand works differently. If the Neurocytes are not attached in a strand, the resulting population is 481. If they remain attached in the strand, the ones closest to the Stemocyte / Photocyte I think end up getting disproportionately more energy due to the their nearness to a briefly appearing Photocyte. Those furthest from the Stemocyte / Photocyte die more quickly than they would otherwise: their energy gets sucked away by disproportionately larger cells going up the strand. You can decrease the population and tweak it to different numbers by changing the S1 / S2 oscillation signals and the Stemocyte's setting for "c" (for differentiating). Those settings change how long it takes for the signal to trigger the Stemocyte's transformation.

Now it sounds a lot more complicated, but hopefully that makes sense.

Major Edits: Oops, I had to edit some things up there.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Also, for any cell type, you can reduce a strand population by reducing the Nutrient priority. The Neurocyte strand can be tweaked this way as well.
amor fati