Scarce Friction - now Desert

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Alast

Re: Scarce Friction

Post by Alast » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:13 pm

That seems to have helped, but I didn't get it to max out again yet...

Yes, 2 Stereos and 1 Neuro :D Plus another Myocyte at the back where the new Liposeeds are supposed to spawn.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Two Myocytes? I wasn't sure that was possible. So, the back one has footing when the Lipo is behind it, and doesn't have footing otherwise. That works? And, that's a lot of mass to maintain and repoduce, especially for a predator, which has to detect and then hunt down its prey.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 pm

It does have footing anyway even without cells on both sides. You can make a crawler with Phago and Neuro in the front and only the Myo in the back ;-)

But yes, the mass is a lot which is why it's not working well yet. Need to work on that some more.
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 pm

So weird, looking at your crawler now. It really grows extremely fast, that's amazing. But it got up to 870 and then took a dive below 800 and now just got back up to 870 again but didnt even touch the 900 within 1k h. And the nutrient amount is much much lower than my crawler ever gets it.

Haha, 100h later it was in the 930s.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:02 am

Results may vary ;) They consume a lot and burn a lot. It's been interesting to see how some energy conserving strategies -- consuming and/or burning less -- don't pay off while others do. Same for consuming and/or burning more.

I got your crawler to hit 970 using signal output = 2.00. :D This version seems to leave quite a few unhatched Lipocytes around. There should be a way to improve that as well.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 am

Hmm, even the version I saved after hitting 970 gets mixed results. I think it may be that your species' peak range is just insanely wide. That if it gets a good start and doesn't hit many bumps, it peaks up in the 900s, and that otherwise it has a hard time recovering and gaining ground. If the max out result you got were all relatively quick runs, it may be that it happens quickly or not at all.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:27 am

Could be, I'll keep trying ;)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:58 pm

I've got my predator hunting down your smart crawler. :twisted: It's still in the very early stages but it reproduces. However, after a few kills the entire area around the predator has no prey and doesn't get repopulated by them. So, the predator doesn't last long. Given how these crawler species operate -- how sensitive they are, how many factors go into their plate distribution, etc., and dealing with two species on top of that -- I'm not sure what sort of environment will work well.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I created a new substrate -- 2mm, same settings except for increased nutrients, and max cell count 2000. I put your smart crawler on until it reached 1200. I inserted four of my predators and so far they have survived 1200hr since being inserted. :D

As they got going, the total cell count continued to increase to 1600. In their first population peak the predators reduced the cell count to 900 and had a bit of a hard time recovering from prey/food shortage. The plate repopulated and was stable for a while, then the predator had a second population peak, almost cleaning the plate and reducing the cell count to 400. Recovery wasn't too difficult that time thanks to the particular distribution of organisms at the time. Now the plate is repopulating. :)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:09 pm

I havent made any progress yet. Can I see yours?