Fast and Scarce Prey

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Alast

Re: Fast Prey (Or the Unexpected Virtue of Inefficiency)

Post by Alast » Mon May 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Ok, actually I was able to clean it in less that a third of the time, about 1,1k h. Still quite a bit, but it works ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon May 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Dang, I reduced Salinity mostly to eliminate standard predator solutions. I guess I should have added a time requirement for the non-smart solutions. You did that without Glueocytes? Can I add a time requirement, or will you just ignore the challenge then? ;) Yes, my solution works at reduced Salinity.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 am

It's not a standard predator ;) It's an immobile lurker kind of predator luring in its prey with a Secrocyte. Only new spawns have a short burst of movement provided by a short lived Flagellocyte to better spread across the substrate.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Right, sort of like what can be used for Deception. Nice work! From some tests I did, I didn't think it was doable, especially without Glueocytes. Can you PM your solution? I'd like to see if I can tweak the substrate without adding a time limit to prevent non-smart solutions.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 10, 2016 4:08 am

Your solution is very effective. I've tinkered around, though not extensively, and it seems somewhat difficult to create a substrate where you have to attract the prey and where you also have to hunt them, rather than just sit and wait for them.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue May 10, 2016 8:01 am

That is basically just because of the high energy usage of Flagellocytes. Sitting and luring is much more energy efficient.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Flagellocytes do consume a lot of energy even at very low swim force. So, yeah, it's a matter of creating an environment where that energy use pays off -- and fast prey may not be the way to do it.
amor fati