Obstacle Course

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Alast

Obstacle Course

Post by Alast » Sun May 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Fellow scientists,

every once in a while we find something that hasn't been done before in Cell Lab an occupies our minds for quite some time. Fractals was one of those big things. Smart Crawlers were the next. This challenge tries to be nothing less than the next big thing, because it is so different to anything we have done so far!

Description: There is a green smart swimmer on the left side of the substrate. It avoids red cells. Get it to the single green Glueocyte on the right side.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mge1ptavhiw9c ... trate?dl=0

Objective (difficult): Get the swimmer to the green Glueocyte on the other side of the substrate

Max Cells inserted: 20

Cell Type allowed: Phagocytes
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Re: Obstacle Course

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 10, 2016 4:05 am

So, your criteria for "big thing" is something that you and I post a lot about. ;)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 am

It's definitely different and has an interesting premise. :) Managed to go around the outside and get it there with one Glueocyte attached.

It would be cool if some design element could be incorporated.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am

Something that gets a lot of attention on this forum. And yes, that's mostly you and me, I know :-P
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue May 10, 2016 7:59 am

Also I'm hoping with this very different kind of challenge to maybe even get some otheres interested.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 am

Obstacle courses really do have a lot of potential. You can create all sorts of obstacle courses, entire series of them ranging from easy to very difficult -- where difficulty is quite different than design challenges and more along the lines of game where the rules and objective remain more or less the same from level to level.

Perhaps a good place to begin would be something very easy, to start to get a feel for the onset, duration, and strength of the avoidance; how to place cells accordingly; etc. Then build up to the difficulty you have in the challenge posted, which is a tough place to start. Perhaps something as simple as this for example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nstmwh9wriq46 ... trate?dl=0
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 11, 2016 10:20 am

Yeah, I was thinking of a series, too. But for my own fun I wanted to start with something challenging right away ;-)

The potential is definitely there. Makes for a totally different game experience, more like an arcade game. And I was already thinking of making mazes or fix courses and stuff like that. Lots of possibilities.

The goal of those challenges would mostly be the same as ypu said, but they aren't about that anyway :-)

I will look at your substrate now ;-)
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 11, 2016 10:24 am

Yep, definitely a good starting point.

Making a whole series of those takes quite some design work and balancing, though, if you want to make sure difficulty increases from challenge to challenge.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed May 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Arcade game was exactly what I was thinking. ;)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Exactly what I was after with this ;-)