Obstacle Course

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: Obstacle Course

Post by bwisialo » Mon May 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Have you thought of something bio-inspired?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon May 23, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand what's meant by that. I've had an idea at some point earlier of a growing Photocyte string with a sensing head. You can actually control the growth direction that way. Maybe something like that?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Oh, I was thinking the swimmer is sufficiently bio-inspired -- as much so as it is for other challenges. I was thinking the obstacles and goal could be more bio-inspired. Eg., for the obstacles, maybe it would be sufficient if they were organisms that feed off the swimmer -- that is, they reproduce on contact. But the goal seems like it could use a bio-inspired change. Like, why is the swimmer going over there? What happens when it gets there? Perhaps it reproduces: e.g., the goal cell could have a Stemocyte and use Photocytes -- to keep / have enough energy -- to turn into another swimmer.

That said, I'm not certain if that's what Petter meant.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi,
Yea I was thinking that the actual obstacle course could be bio-inspired in a not so serious way, kind of like the flowers in the symbiosis challenge. Something to make the user understand why the organism is supposed to swim to a certain place. The only bio-inspired example I can think of right now is a sperm swimming towards an egg but that is supposed to just be one cell whereas we need more. Maybe you have some other ideas? Stop a frog species form going extinct by guiding the last tadpole to some food?
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 pm

This is something I've use for an interesting visual effect and to block the route through the center of the dish. I'm trying to think of something for the goal but haven't come up with something that feels right. It's got to be something the user can't trigger with there own cells. If you can lock the cell color to red, a Senseocyte detecting green could be used at the goal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zpsyxg39m5xl ... trate?dl=0
amor fati