Avoidance III: Infection

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Alast

Avoidance III: Infection

Post by Alast » Thu May 12, 2016 9:53 am

I've been sitting on this one for a while because I wanted to see if Petter wants to include it into the official game. But I'm too excited about it to wait any longer :mrgreen:

Description: A primitive predator pollutes your long term experiment with Phagoswimmers. Can you give the your swimmers an edge over their unwanted enemy? You might be able to utilize some mutations in the swimmer's genome that currently have now effect.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftshqgdbobrca ... trate?dl=0

Objective (very difficult): Starve the predator to only have prey left with at least 300 cells on the plate

Max Cells inserted: 5

Cell Types allowed: Phagocyte, Lipocyte, Glueocyte, Virocyte, Stereocyte, Senseocyte, Myocyte, Stemocyte
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Re: Avoidance III: Infection

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 2:30 am

Cool challenge. Didn't seem very very difficult exactly. ;) I think mine will work with 1 inserted. Not exactly an infection challenge like others in that you don't have to spread the virus / infection but only infect a few and have them take over the plate, without producing additional Virocytes. Still, I think a Smart Prey challenge would be a great addition to CL. It should even be possible to do it with a smart predator if the Flagellocyte settings are set appropriately. I'll send my somewhat non-optimized solution via pm.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 6:57 am

I figured it wouldn't be very very difficult for you :P You're an expert on Viruses and at least as good on smart prey designs. I knew this challenge would be right up your alley. But I was thinking of the more common users who virus challenges and smart organism challenges each are are very difficult for. That makes it 2 very's ;)

And yeah, I've initially tried with a smart predator. But they just kept obliterating my non smart prey. So I changed to the non smart predator which then worked way better.

You're also right about It being different from the other Infection challenges. Which is why Avoidance comes first in the name ;)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 am

Well, I'd say Infection 3 is probably more difficult on the Infection front, and several smart-species challenges are more difficult on the smart front, so I'm sticking with one very ;)

How about the name Smart Prey, or just Prey? Or, since it's sort of like a gene therapy procedure, Genetic Engineering or Artificial Evolution?

Did you create Avoidance 2?

I'll try this with a smart predator.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 7:33 am

Yes, both Avoidance challenges are from me :) And I was thinking about a third one where you'd have to make an avoiding predator. Sounded cool in theory but I couldn't actually come up with something yet that provided an interesting new take on avoiding. And then I had this idea of changing a present organism and here we are ;)

And fiiine, only one very ;)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 am

Nice work on Avoidance 2.

I'd like to see a second Predator challenge. I had two ideas: predator with Secrocyte; and smart predator smart prey equilibrium.

I had an idea for a smart prey challenge but I like yours better. ;)

These are stable with smart predators -- if not, they're close and it's definitely doable. I have a solution that works on both. I prefer the first.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrzmqqhzraw27 ... trate?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m85prre3ezj2j ... trate?dl=0
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 am

After the predators starve, my solution hits 600s, so 500 would be a good goal. I increased Salinity to try to stabilize things in my substrates.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks :) Took a little bit to get where I wanted with it ;)

You mean a Predator II? I might have an idea :D

Will have to look at your substrates later.
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 9:26 am

Ok, couldn't resist :mrgreen:

My solution also solves both your substrates. Nice ones! Not sure what I did wrong that my Smart Predators were too efficient killing :)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:33 am

Yeah, my idea for a Predator II was one where Secrocyte would be required -- like Fast and Fearful Prey. The other would be an Equilibrium challenge rather than a Predator II per se.
amor fati