Avoidance III: Infection

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: Avoidance III: Infection

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Right, population adjustment is just a matter of nutrients. I wondered if, yeah, the net effect of being triggered by its own cells would be zero due to symmetry. The reproduction dance is funny though ;)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 9:15 pm

So there you go, you can run away from everything. Even your own shadow ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Is that a 4mm plate? Why the gigantic chunk size -- to keep concentration as low as possible?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 pm

5mm, and yes, I tend to just max the chunk size and then adjust the concentration to have 1 variable less.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 pm

It is a whopping 2 variables and a 100% increase from 1, but adjusting both at low levels is better. ;) I just look at the total nutrient count. And now, the slider settings have values! :D
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat May 14, 2016 6:23 am

Well, but then you also have Salinity, makes it 3 :P But I know it's not necessarily reasonable ;)
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:23 am

I had quite a difficult time with the two in-game Avoidance challenges, and this one definitely lives up to the standard you set with those! I haven't solved it yet, but have come sooo close--a few times I got it down to only one red swimmer and a couple lingering devorocytes, but by then my prey has become almost too prolific, with several clumps, a few stuck against the wall, or just enough stray dead lipos that the reds keep hanging in there, despite not being intelligent at all. This is one of those rare times that I actually wish salinity were lower! :shock:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:07 am

You should be able to just make your swimmers less prolific, right?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:06 pm

You can do it. Hang in there! :-)
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Finally made it! A slight adjustment to nutrient priority balance (to make them reproduce less often) helped a little, but I think what really clinched it was to eliminate the clumping problem, by making the red-detecting stereocyte itself red, so my swimmers would avoid each other. Before, bunches of them would cluster together and be unable to effectively scatter when a red predator came through. There was still a problem with face-planting into the edge of the substrate, where the last few red stragglers tend to circle. As long as they were still viable, they could get out of the way of reds, but if they stuck there too long they'd die and leave some nummy treats behind. The anti-clumping approach helped minimize that, but I'm sure it has more to do with swimmer shape.

Cell count was never an issue; it was 700-800 for most of the time. I appreciate how this can actually work against you in this challenge--lipo-dropping will certainly not help here. Fantastic challenge, well done!