Predator and Prey - Equilibrium

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: Predator and Prey - Equilibrium

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 am

Nice work. You're probably getting a sense for the way predator-prey equilibrium dynamics work. The second substrate does seem a bit trickier.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 am

Yeah, it's something I have not experimented with much. Despite the generally low reproduction rate predators have, overproduction is where it can easily go wrong--just a few too many predators, and they will wipe out so many prey in one area that they end up starving. I can kinda see why you prohibited forced sterility here. It almost makes me glad for the flaws in my predator's design--for example their tendency to get entangled with each other may keep them occupied for a while so they don't kill all the prey. I'm thinking of trying some kind of "immortal" predator that keeps all its cells alive through some form of regeneration, and never reproduces, but just hunts solo. Dunno if that would count as a solution here if sterility is not allowed, but it would sure be cool. 8-)
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:04 pm

So it turns out my reaver immortal predator can in fact complete this challenge on the second, harder substrate. The rules say my organism is not allowed to "reproduce, then turn sterile", so I guess on the technicality that it never reproduces, this counts as a win. But I still think it's kind of a cheat :)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Yeah, that's a cheat equivalent to sterility. But it's very cool -- nice work on that front! :) An equilibrium really has to do with two reproductive species. The rule for the challenges should really just be a cell count for your predators, with a min-max range like Keep the Balance. I think I said 24-60 for the second. The only reason I didn't use a cell count rule is that this sort of cell count isn't available on Expeimental plates.
amor fati