True Evolution Challenge! (Shameless self promotion)

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
chargrill

True Evolution Challenge! (Shameless self promotion)

Post by chargrill » Fri May 20, 2016 5:13 pm

After unlocking all the challenges and getting stuck on the few unsolved ones I had remaining. I decided to do what I usually do when I get stuck on these sandbox type games and set myself a quirky challenge in the hopes some problem solving epiphany will hit me but if it doesn't at the very least I'll still be able to get enjoyment from the game. I hadn't toyed around with the evolution portion of the game too much (having designed most of my solutions myself, apart from those 'inspired' by Bart Wisialowski's videos.) so I figured I'd see what interesting solutions evolution could 'design.' I scrolled through the challenges trying to decide where to start but with nothing jumping out at me, at the beginning seemed like the only logical conclusion. then it hit me, what about a 'True' evolution challenge.

so here it is;

Description: Using only Evolution create solutions to as many challenges as possible. each solution can only be evolved from previously evolved solutions to other challenges.

Substrate: So far I have only solved Algae I and II, currently working on Algae III and Sunlight.

Objective: it must be possible to trace the lineage of all solutions back to one common ancestor (I named her EVE, seemed appropriate.

Max Cells inserted: 0 (I shall not be designing a single organism throughout this challenge. EVE was created by checking the 'contaminate with random cells' box once then evolving a solution to algae I and it shall never be ticked again. the only cells that may be inserted are descendants of EVE.)

Additional Rules: Record my endeavours and place my progress on youtube.

So this is where the shameless self promotion comes in. the first video went up last week and thus far only has 5 views. So I thought where better to do a plug than here. next video should be up within the week, progress was delayed by my 2yr old daughter opting to test the aerodynamics of my phone which resulted in an expensive repair.

https://youtu.be/p2y-Q38v8pk
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Re: True Evolution Challenge! (Shameless self promotion)

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, the "Showcase of Creations" forum is a good place for shamelessly self-promoting videos ;) , and the challenge portion of the post belongs in the "User-Created Challenges" forum.

I'm glad the videos were useful :) Developing from one challenge to another is an interesting approach. I have the one video evolving a Tutorial III default swimmer into a solution for Macrophages IV, but I have no idea how long you might have to run the process of evolving, selecting, and evolving genomes to get anything like a working swimmer. Perhaps a couple 100 million or billion substrate hrs ;) , or perhaps a swimmer can be produced more quickly than I think. And producing a Keratinocyte swimmer, perhaps a couple 100 million or billion yrs. A couple of the other challenges do seem reasonably doable though.
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Fri May 20, 2016 10:06 pm

It was this post's position somewhere lateral to both of those boards that drove me to post here. when in doubt, stick it in general (other, misc. etc.) it is proving rather difficult. only got my phone back from repair today, and before it was broken I had spent 2 to 3 nights trying to evolve a solution to Algae III, the slightest change in viscosity can quickly sterilise a plate if the genome isn't robust enough. tonight I hard saved like a madman and periodically saved the dominant genome. kept a steady population all the way down to a fairly low (or would it be high?) viscosity, when extinction reared it's ugly head I figured I may as well test the 4 different genomes I had saved, second one solved the challenge (if a little clunky). trying Sunlight next (to try to spawn swimmers.) haven't recorded anything yet but initial testing looks encouraging, the dominant genome that arose did use Flagellocytes, though not a swimmer per se (looked more like a big tentacled mass) it appeared to be using them to tuck itself into the light for as long as possible as it slowly bred it's way around the plate... hopefully this will be replicated when I'm recording and it actually leads to a viable solution.
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Yeah, your progress is going to be a tough pursuit.

I'd say not to stick with the General. We try to keep things in their appropriate place. Sometimes it's impossible to separate post's topics in different categories, but it's usually possible to compose the post in a way that it's home is appropriate. Not just to be sticklers ;) , but because other users would be interested in the challenge as something they could attempt and contribute to. And your results can be posted within that thread, or in the showcase. Not a huge deal, just a an fyi.
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Oke Doke, well if someone with the capabilities wishes to move this thread I have no problem with that, I will probably create a thread showcasing my progress in showcase at a later date. thanks for the heads up.
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 pm

One for the blooper reel, cultivating for sunlight and I checked on it just in time to see this. not bad though, this was about 8 mins after ~5800hrs(game time) I think some artificial selection may be in order.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5dg6pfpmqb67 ... h.mp4?dl=0
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:33 am

Huh, I stand corrected :P Radiation produced a swimmer within just a few 100 hrs -- albeit a very odd one. Without selecting and reinserting, simply adjusting ration levels, I had a fairly productive swimmer in a couple 1000 hrs that completed Macrophages III, though I probably could have stopped sooner. Of course, it didn't evolve from a Photocyte -- there obviously have to be some breaks in the evolutionary chain here. :)
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 pm

nuh uh I'm going whole hog, I figure if there's plenty of food around and a gradually decreasing light source those that mutate to phagocyte will just be naturally selected for... hopefully.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, that's true. If you have point mutations unchecked, radiation will simply produce Phagocytes and Flagellocytes from the same genome as the Photocyte. Pretty easy. :)
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 pm

indeed, in fact considering abandoning sunlight atm and switching to macrophages challenges as I haven't done anything in about 3 weeks and sunlight was proving difficult.