True Evolution Challenge! (Shameless self promotion)

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: True Evolution Challenge! (Shameless self promotion)

Post by bwisialo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:07 am

I was able to do Sunlight II. Which one were you working on -- I or II?
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:17 am

I, haven't really done anything on it since I shared the blooper, so the plate is about ten minutes behind that happening. I remember noticing though that the tiniest adjustment in light movement speed can just leave the cells for dust, so I'm thinking after having left it so long in between challenges I should try something a little easier to fill the gap in between.
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:35 am

I did it by having an increased light range and having rotation at max, then narrowing the range and slowing the rotation.
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:14 am

interesting, that's like the complete opposite of what I've been doing. did you not find the cells hit population limit with an increased light range?
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:31 am

Yes they maxed out, and the genome I evolved maxes out the challenge substrate. The method hete is to create an easier substrate for the cells, then gradually scale the difficulty up to the conditions of the challenge substrate. Faster light is just as important as increased range: cells don't have to wait as long for the light to return, then slow the light down to the match the challenge.
amor fati
moonheart08

Post by moonheart08 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 pm

bwisialo wrote:Well, the "Showcase of Creations" forum is a good place for shamelessly self-promoting videos ;) , and the challenge portion of the post belongs in the "User-Created Challenges" forum.

I'm glad the videos were useful :) Developing from one challenge to another is an interesting approach. I have the one video evolving a Tutorial III default swimmer into a solution for Macrophages IV, but I have no idea how long you might have to run the process of evolving, selecting, and evolving genomes to get anything like a working swimmer. Perhaps a couple 100 million or billion substrate hrs ;) , or perhaps a swimmer can be produced more quickly than I think. And producing a Keratinocyte swimmer, perhaps a couple 100 million or billion yrs. A couple of the other challenges do seem reasonably doable though.
generally, if you get lucky... well, who wants me to post the swimmer i got from evo :P
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:27 pm

It turns out I was wrong (I commented on this after the post you quoted), and it doesn't take luck at all. Developing a swimmer happens quite quickly. I evolved one enough to have it complete Macrophages III.
amor fati
xor

Post by xor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

I wonder why eve multiplies in twos. dose it make more tow celled copies?
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm

part 3 is up.

I imagine because the range of lit up area on the plate is so small having two conjoined cells increases the chances of one of them being in the light. there is of course the fact that a single pair requires only one cell to make adhesin and the two daughters to keep adhesin each further addition requires moe making and keeping of adhesin, this pans out in EVE as she will actually have organisms of strings of three but when she gets to four she will split into two pairs.
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:24 pm