Evolve a smart swimmer

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Pds314

Evolve a smart swimmer

Post by Pds314 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Rules:
[*]You may use any settings you like. Nitrates, nutrients, friction, viscosity, etc can be off or on or anything in between.
[*]You may not hand-place any cells other than cells set to self-replicate in its own mode or set not to replicate. All other modes on theses cells must be set to self replicate on their own modes.
[*]You may vary the conditions at any time.
[*]You may save and spawn in any organism which evolves, and may move it to other plates as long as those plates follow the same rules, however, you may not modify these organisms directly to help them evolve.
[*]You may contaminate the experiment with random cells at any time if you so desire.
[*]You may use the advanced plate settings to get bigger or smaller plates on which to evolve your creature.
[*]A smart swimmer is defined here is a single organism that can be grown from one cell into a creature which is capable of navigating toward its food source. Light is not a food source for the purposes of the challenge.

Bonus goals:
[*]Evolve it and beat Scarce conditions I, II, or III with it.
[*]Evolve it and beat Predator with it.
[*]Evolve an ecosystem of smart creatures.
[*]Evolve a smart prey, which intelligently avoids the predators it co-existed with by fleeing from them.
[*]Evolve an omnivore.

In case it isn't obvious, I have yet to do this myself, and in fact, haven't seen it done.

Clarification: since evolved creatures tend to be wildly different between growth stages and may even be polymorphic as an adult, your creature does not need to be a smart swimmer during all growth stages or its final growth stage, just during one of them.

My current progress pretty much amounts to a swimmer evolved for 2500 H from contamination on a low-nutrient-concentration, maximum nutrient chunk size 5.0mm dish. Current nutrient concentration is 2.6 and current population is 1200 cells. The hope is that a double-flaggelated swimmer, of which there are some on the plate, will evolve a stereocyte. Interestingly, the map is large enough for the phenomenon of "ring species" to be clearly visible in the coloration, structure, and size of the creatures.

Hmm. My creatures seem to have an unusual mode of reproduction compared to most player-made creations. They multiply up to 2 or 3 phagocytes on one single-flagellum creature, and then those phagocytes are essentially the new eggs, causing the parent to revert to the infant stage after budding but retain its flagellum.

Also keep in mind that the "initial" cell may not be one capable of reproduction to a full organism. For example, most of my current creatures have this organization

closed loop{
M2 - "initial" flagellocyte. Doesn't make Adhesin but both daughters keep it. Creates and M15 and an M18. High split mass. Probably rarely split. Normal flagellum.
closed loop{
M15 - flagellocyte, not initial. Creates an M1 attached to itself and another, totally disjointed M15 which is totally useless. High split mass. Probably rarely split or seen.

M1 - phagocyte, not initial. Creates 2x M15 attached to itself. Very high split mass. Probably rarely split or seen.
}
M18 - phagocyte, not initial. Creates an M9 which doesn't keep Adhesin and an M2 which does. Makes adhesin. High split mass.

M9 - phagocyte, not initial. Creates two M18s with full Adhesin. Medium split mass.
}

So in other words, plant down a sufficiently massive 18 and you get a 2 and a 9, then the 9, which surely splits first, if not immediately, creates a pair of 18s bolted on to the creature.

Then one of the 18s splits due to eating something, causing another M9 and M2 to form. The M2 would attach to the organism, but has no place to do so in most cases, so we're left with an M2 and an M9 floating free and either a killed adult and an 18 floating around in the case the flagellum and M18 were seperated, or an M18 and M2 floating around, which is likely to quickly lay itself as an egg, causing its current M2 to fly away and it to produce a new one.

EDIT: encountered a cell with a stereocyte, but it had just 1 flagellocyte and did not seem intelligent. Probably a mutant.

EDIT2: found a species on the board which could readily produce stereocytes as part of its lifecycle, but does not normally do so. I.E. things have to replicate that don't ordinarilly do so.
bwisialo

Re: Evolve a smart swimmer

Post by bwisialo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:12 am

A smart swimmer -- with, e.g., a Stereocyte and Flagellocytes, each programmed with settings so the two work together intelligently for reproduction -- is one of the organisms I doubt the Experimental plate will be able to yield. :( Something like balloons might be easier, but that might be extremely difficult. A predator would take a miracle. ;)
amor fati
Pds314

Post by Pds314 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:46 am

Yeah. I'm discovering that. The evolution has thus far produced many organisms with stereocytes, but it turns out that this is because of successful viral spread of the genes of an organism that just happened to have one, and so none of them release a chemical that the flagella can detect. I.e. every cell has three identical stereocyte modes on S3, but nothing picking up S3.

What I am getting is big, complicated phage swimmers that can fracture into up to 5 or 6 new cells at max size, thus taking advantage of the boom/bust nutrient cycle. They can function small, but can also grow big.

Hmm. Just saw a 4-cell cluster stop based on stereocyte control. Problem is it can only choose to stop and go, not turn.
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 am

I'm sure with enough time evolution could produce smart creatures. It just might be a lot of time ;-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:55 am

Yeah, evolution is a long long process, that's why you always should start with an appropriate genome before starting evolution, though I sometimes just let it evolve with something that barely survives and get nice things
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
fungus3

Post by fungus3 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:24 pm

Alast wrote:I'm sure with enough time evolution could produce smart creatures. It just might be a lot of time ;-)
Let's not forget how much lag would result having the game pick nearly infinite values for stereocyte/stemocyte/signals. It would drastically slow down the evolution. :|