Sunlight I, modified

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Sunlight I, modified

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Here's a good approximation of the Sunlight substrate. It's here because there is an easy unintended solution -- unintended because the in-app Hint indicates the intended solution. Tweaks to the substrate are just for Petter's consideration. I would suggest that tweaks maintain the same level of difficulty as the intended solution: Difficult.

Objective (Difficult): 130 cells

Cells: 1 inserted; only Photocytes and Flagellocytes permitted

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6fhbyspd8xcl ... trate?dl=0
amor fati
bwisialo

Re: Sunlight I, modified

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:18 pm

I've done a variety of tests of different changes to Rotation and Viscosity.

In short, a time requirement is basically inevitable to prevent simple algae solutions and still allow swimmer solutions.

A time requirement by itself is enough to prevent Easy algae solutions but not advanced algae solutions. Something like 90 cells for 200h works for a "Difficult" swimmer solution.

Eliminating algae solutions in the Difficult to Very Difficult range doesn't require major changes. Algae grows both outward and along the edge. Whatever the Rotation setting is, Viscosity changes tend to help both species, hurt both species, or not make a significant difference in helping one and hurting the other. Changing Viscosity doesn't seem to be worth much.

Slowing Rotation allows algae to survive quite easily: it doesn't have to wait for the next rotation; it can move with the light. Speeding rotation is the clearest thing that hinders algae without hindering swimmers much. A slight increase helps swimmers, which outpace the light at default swim speed. But it takes a larger increase to stop the algae. I increased it from .116 to .146 in the substrate below. A requirement of 70 cells for 200h eliminates most algae solutions while allowing a "Difficult" swimmer solution.

Objective (Difficult): 70 cells for 200h

Cells: 1 inserted; only Photocytes and Flagellocytes permitted

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34tzt52v9vztu ... trate?dl=0
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:59 pm

I would've loved to have saved my sunlight 1 genome to test this, but so far seems to stop my algae solutions from growing
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Well, it should take a Very Difficult swimmer. Give it a test -- could be helpful in assessing difficulty.

Edit: It should NOT take a Very Difficult swimmer.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:42 pm

The following advanced algae solves this challenge:

M1 split into M1, M1 at 3.55 cell mass, produce adhesin with mac strength

Not sure if any 1 mode organism should be able to solve this. I would argue that it should require a Photoswimmer but haven't been able to come up with a substrate myself yet.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Notice how I said "most algae solutions." ;) Yeah, from various changes I've tried, I don't readily see how it would be possible to eliminate algae solutions entirely.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Actually, increase speed to .159. A pretty basic Photoswimmer can still sustain 70+ cells. Try 1 mode algae.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:28 am

I know you said that ;) I was rather thinking of Petter and what his intention might be.

I tried .159 and was not able to create an algae string that's fast enough to follow. I think we have a winner.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:42 pm

I still don't get the intention of the challenge from a biological perspective.
Are there any photo swimmers in real life?
I know that at the end of the day this is just a game tough, and a great one, is just something I tought .
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:11 pm

I don't think there is. We don't actually have environments like we do here, right? ;) But that doesn't mean the couldn't exist.