Dumb Swimmers

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
wapcaplet

Dumb Swimmers

Post by wapcaplet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:06 am

Here's a little challenge I posed myself (and solved) earlier today, in the same vein as "Gene Therapy".

This substrate has a bunch of swimmers living on it, but they're not very smart. They only move in a straight line, and they have a useless myocyte. Can you infect them with a virus to make them smarter?

dumb-swimmers.substrate

You can only place 1 initial cell. All types are allowed except flagellocyte and myocyte.

Now, I know "make them smarter" is a fairly vague goal, and shoud be easily achievable by anyone who has completed the other virocyte challenges. What I found interesting about this challenge is the use of a virus to improve an organism, rather than harming it. I wanted to set some arbitrary cell count target, but have barely been able to get above 260 cells myself. I'm curious to see how well others can do :-)
Alast

Re: Dumb Swimmers

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:48 am

Will have to try out your substrate. Don't have the time right now. Just wanted to point out that you might want to have a look at the Save the Swimmer challenge. It had the same premise :-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:02 am

Ah, cool! Quite a bit harder, it seems. I think I saw that challenge discussion a while back but hadn't tried it before. I succeeded, thanks to having already practiced on my challenge :-D

I thought of this one after playing around trying to make a smart swimmer composed of two species glued together--one species being the tail, the other the brain--but getting them in proper alignment was hard, and reproduction nigh impossible.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Played with your substrate and peaked at 830 cells ;-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!