Queen needs Drones

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: Queen needs Drones

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Very cool challenge that should definitely be added to the app when a time comes for adding more Very Difficult challenges! :D

This one and Defy Gravity, for sure. Both require interesting and new sorts of solutions, and both allow for a very wide array of different solutions. Pretty amazing to both of those qualities in a challenge. Huge kudos to Alast for creating these. :D
amor fati
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Screenshot_2016-12-29-22-49-57-572-390x363.jpeg
Screenshot_2016-12-29-22-49-57-572-390x363.jpeg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
My solution. Manage to get up to 100-120 in friendly substrate before photocytes ran out. And the phagocyte there help to lenghthen my cell to protect the gluocyte from attaching itself to the photocyte making it unable to split due to not having enough mass. The phagocytes also eat nutrients from photocytes that died from devourocytes.

How did you guys do it? With devour-swimmer that make drone, I only manage to reach 30-40. Lots of drone wasted its energy by swimming around and around.
If you don't mind, can you pm me your solution? I need a lot to learn from you guys.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:39 pm

That's a very creative approach! I love it :-) Shielding the Queen like that looks extremely viable.

I think if you made the top Devorocyte a different cell type you might be able to spare Photocytes at the edge and just swim over them. Then they might be able to reproduce before you come by again. Just a thought.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:43 pm

bwisialo wrote:Huge kudos to Alast for creating these. :D
Thanks! :-) I'd still like to see some of our beginners challenges considered first. But I agree that these 2 challenges are a lot of fun and way different to any others.
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Same solution but slowing down the swimmer increase cell count around 140 before the cell die. If this challenge had time sastisfied, then I'm not going to make it I think

Did you mean gluocyte? I tried it but the the photocyte will split first since they have higher nutrient priority.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:18 pm

"...when a time comes for adding more Very Difficult challenges..." ;)

Yes, I agree that there need to be more Easy challenges and instructive challenges, but now that I think about it, I don't recall the rationale for not adding more difficult challenges at this time. From exchanges on youtube, I'm not sure the rationale makes sense to me. I know that things are lopsided to the difficult, but that's not the actual issue. The issue is that Easy and instructive challenges are desirable, in large part, because they give users some fun, satisfaction, and knowledge and help keep users in the game. However, adding or not adding difficult challenge doesn't improve, worsen, or affect that issue. If the Easy challenges are present in the app, then they're present; if not, then they're not. Users on youtube, even inexperienced users working on early challenges, aren't intimidated by seeing a bunch of difficult challenges at the end of game. If anything, seeing those locked challenges is intriguing, thinking something like "what kinds of things can you do there?!" They see videos with advanced genomes and ask, "What are those cells? When do I get to use them?" And virtually everyone who has unlocked all cells would love additional challenges with smart organisms.

Just thinking out loud. :)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Not saying at all we couldn't have both. Just giving more introductory challenges a priority. Of course, both ends could be satisfied at the same time :-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Exactly. So the question is: what does "priority" mean here? I agree that the Easy challenges have priority in being more important to add, but if you have a difficult challenge that is ready to go, does adding the difficult challenge diminish or interfere with that priority? I wouldn't say so. Delaying the addition of difficult challenge would seem necessary only if the priority in question meant, the Easy challenges need to be added first. So... I'm just rethinking the idea that now isn't the time to add difficult challenges.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:03 pm

That's not what I meant to say. However, it does take time for Petter to look into those challenges and decide whether to add them to the app or not. And his time is the limiting factor here. So if he has time to look into 6 out of 10 challenges (just as example) I'd prefer him not looking into 4 Very Difficults rather than 4 Beginners. If there is enough time for all candidates then by all means :-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:41 pm

@Megathosto

The base of my species is simply a Keratinocyte attached to a Devorocyte. The Keratinocyte -- actually, a sequence of Keratinocytes that replace one another -- produces three Myocyte swimmers to feed the queen, then produces a new Keratinocyte-Devorocyte base that travels via Flagellocyte to another part of the substrate, and then it cycles back to produces more Myocyte swimmers etc.

The design isn't that great really: a lot of swimmers get lost in the Photocytes or die on Devorocytes; the orientation of the Keratinocyte-Devorocyte pairs on the substrate is fairly haphazard; and a lot of eggs for swimmers are left unhatched. I think a better design might be to add a Flagellocyte to the pairs: it could potentially reduced orientation problem and get more food to the Devorocytes I'll send the current version via PM.
amor fati