Infect the Drones

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
wapcaplet

Infect the Drones

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 am

Description: A colony of smart swimmers are living happily here. They would make great drones for a queen, if only there were a queen, and if only they knew how to reach her... Can you create a queen organism that will infect the swimmers with a virus to make them work for her, and leave the substrate empty?

Substrate: challenge-infect-drones.substrate

Objective (difficult): Create a sessile (immobile) organism with a virus that makes the existing swimmers feed your organism, and leave the plate clean afterwards. Flagellocytes are allowed for spreading the virus, but the idea is not to create a predator that moves and hunts, but a queen that stays still and makes drones come to it.

Max Cells inserted: 1

Cell Type allowed: Any except phagocyte and secrocyte

I have solved it, but I can imagine many other possible solutions. Please PM me your genome if you succeed.
bwisialo

Re: Infect the Drones

Post by bwisialo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 pm

You have a lot of different ideas, requirements, and caveats (Flagellocytes) going on there. ;)

My solution that is basically a parasitic virus that changes the Stereocyte -- making them seek the parasitic cells and getting just enough nutrients from swimmers to produce Virocytes.

Via PM.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:21 am

bwisialo wrote:You have a lot of different ideas, requirements, and caveats (Flagellocytes) going on there.
Yeah, I was just going to share the organism as a user creation, but thought it'd make a decent challenge. Didn't want to prohibit flagellos, but nor did I want it to just be another "kill em all" challenge. :roll:

I sent my solution in PM.
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Think I have a nice pirate queen, seems stable at 2000hrs.

Sent links to one drive files to you, currently installing Dropbox so will be able to use that in future.
beware the pixys
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:08 am

@Noughtpixy: Nice work! Your pirate queen does have a fairly stable equilibrium going--I ran it up to 5000h and they continue coexisting, with some of the original swimmers remaining alive.

It's a good ecosystem, but I don't know if it can reach the objective of leaving the substrate empty. For that I think you would need better virus distribution, and possibly a more prolific queen by reducing split masses. If you can somehow infect most of the original swimmers, and/or produce so many queens that the swimmers die out, then the queens will have no food source and will also die out eventually. That's one of the goals here. But you nailed the part about turning the blue swimmers into drones :mrgreen:
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:29 am

Does it count if you use a Flagellocyte to spread eggs better across the substrate before they turn into new queens?

Well, actually just now also solved it without extra spreading :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

wapcaplet wrote:@Noughtpixy: Nice work! Your pirate queen does have a fairly stable equilibrium going--I ran it up to 5000h and they continue coexisting, with some of the original swimmers remaining alive.

It's a good ecosystem, but I don't know if it can reach the objective of leaving the substrate empty. For that I think you would need better virus distribution, and possibly a more prolific queen by reducing split masses. If you can somehow infect most of the original swimmers, and/or produce so many queens that the swimmers die out, then the queens will have no food source and will also die out eventually. That's one of the goals here. But you nailed the part about turning the blue swimmers into drones :mrgreen:
ironically one of the earlier iterations of her replicated as well as spitting viros and had nearly wiped out the smart swimmers so I redesigned her to not replicate and get a balance as had not noticed the leave plate clean objective.
May rework towards that, however would quite like to beat it with just the one queen on the plate. Is a good challenge :)
beware the pixys
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Maybe flagellocytes should just be disallowed for this challenge. They were my "cheat" to get better virus distribution. I'll have to see if I can solve it without them now...
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:05 pm

:mrgreen:

Solved it without Flagellocytes and without Virocytes!!!
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Solve it only with devour(M1) and gluo(M2). But i believe it's a luck.

Or maybe not cuz i tried 3 times and plate cleared 3 times in a row. And i believe using one mode is possible, maybe.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.