Move it!

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
wapcaplet

Re: Move it!

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 am

Yep here it is. I would just PM it to all of you but this exploit is one Petter should probably know about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2ehlkwcdys6t ... trate?dl=0

There are no nutrients, yet 300 cells happily live here, and will do so indefinitely. They don't spread around very well--with no nutrients, swarm behavior dominates. If you place several more initial cells in an empty area, they will start a new colony.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:02 am

Yeah, this really looks like another expression of the energy bug. When you set the substrate to slow motion the population declines.

I'm debating whether it makes sense to post new challenges while this bug still exists. Especially this one as it is obviously impacted.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm

This is a pretty extreme edge case. The maximum salinity is surely part of what makes it possible--if I turn that down a notch, they cannot survive the barren substrate. They can still max out the one with chunk size 0.25 though :-D

Regarding "slow observe", I've read elsewhere that it can reveal energy bugs like this. Are we taking it to be more accurate than regular observe or incubate? My 1-cell farter has a much shorter traveling distance in slow observe, for some reason.
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm

So, incubate and observe are the problem/bug?
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Only Petter could answer that for certain.

I tested a bit more with different settings and think I have a substrate now that doesn't allow for self sustained organisms anymore. But the bug might still support the survivability of them. Therefore I'm hesitant about this challenge now. Once Petter has fixed the bug current solutions might not be valid anymore.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 am

I'm not able to reproduce this (no pun intended) in my latest version. Maybe I found some typo in the code earlier and fixed it but I can not remember it now. I loaded the substrate and turned on observe. They split a few times but then quickly die out. My current code is though far from release quality so it might be that i have introduced another bug that breaks this organism :P
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 am

When you fixed the energy bug that we found with Devorocytes, were Devorocytes specifically the problem, or was problem something that affected other or all cell types?
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:50 am

This has bug all over it. ;) :( Strictly speaking, yes, Slow Observe is more accurate. But, obviously, the more fine-grained Slow Observe results may not be free of the energy bug in question.
amor fati
StereocyteNo2025

Post by StereocyteNo2025 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 am

bwisialo wrote:This has bug all over it. ;) :( Strictly speaking, yes, Slow Observe is more accurate. But, obviously, the more fine-grained Slow Observe results may not be free of the energy bug in question.
I've heard Slow Observe stops oscillating Neurocytes.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 am

Yes, it can, and that would be accurate with many if not all preset settings. ;) Observe oscilates thanks to miniscule errors. :lol:
amor fati