Help and Aid

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
wapcaplet

Re: Help and Aid

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:03 am

Noughtypixy wrote:actually it's dead virocites, as they seem to die the quickest.
Ah, that is a use for virocytes that I never really considered! I think you are right about them having the shortest life span--Nayus discovered the same thing in his Studies of Cell Lab thread. Photocytes actually have a shorter life span, but only if they don't get any light :mrgreen:
Noughtypixy wrote:It's a modification of my solution to sterilisation
Argh, that is the only in-game challenge I still have not completed! One of these days I will get it... but maybe it will be easier with this hint.

Your solution gave me some ideas, so I started thinking of other ways to distribute nutrient bits around for the blue swimmers to eat. I came up with two more solutions that work really well. If anyone wants the genomes, just PM me. I won't spoil the details for anyone who hasn't tried the challenge yet, but here are some screenshots. The first one can just barely hit 900 blue cells; the second is harder to tell, but I think it's around 500-600 (it maxes the substrate, mostly from my own cells). Both can survive indefinitely.
food-puffs.png
food-puffs.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
flagello-rain.png
flagello-rain.png (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:10 am

So, part of my solution can infect and change the blue swimmer right?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:01 am

I manage to peak at 1000 cells with a rather linear genome ;)

/edit: Just saw your food puffs screenshot. That's what my approach looks like, too.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm

wapcaplet wrote:
Noughtypixy wrote:actually it's dead virocites, as they seem to die the quickest.
Ah, that is a use for virocytes that I never really considered! I think you are right about them having the shortest life span--Nayus discovered the same thing in his Studies of Cell Lab thread. Photocytes actually have a shorter life span, but only if they don't get any light :mrgreen:
Noughtypixy wrote:It's a modification of my solution to sterilisation
Argh, that is the only in-game challenge I still have not completed! One of these days I will get it... but maybe it will be easier with this hint.

Your solution gave me some ideas, so I started thinking of other ways to distribute nutrient bits around for the blue swimmers to eat. I came up with two more solutions that work really well. If anyone wants the genomes, just PM me. I won't spoil the details for anyone who hasn't tried the challenge yet, but here are some screenshots. The first one can just barely hit 900 blue cells; the second is harder to tell, but I think it's around 500-600 (it maxes the substrate, mostly from my own cells). Both can survive indefinitely.

food-puffs.png
flagello-rain.png
ahhh flageloes look good for distribution but when I sub them for my viros they get behind my organisam and push it out of the light.
In the top pic did you stick photos to the top or is the split pushing them up?
That's the problem I was having, keeping my cells from breading to much, hence having only 2 growing tips.
beware the pixys
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Noughtypixy wrote:In the top pic did you stick photos to the top or is the split pushing them up?
The splitting pushes the feeder worm upward in both my screenshots. My earlier solution has gluocytes to hold it up, but the split force seems more than adequate here :-)
Noughtypixy wrote:That's the problem I was having, keeping my cells from breading to much, hence having only 2 growing tips.
Oh man, that is always the problem with photocytes. I tried so many variations for this challenge that just grew uncontrollably, even with such minimal light. Photocytes are a uniquely powerful tool in this game, but you have to be careful--it's like trying to water your garden with a fire hose! The challenge is learning how to channel and direct all that energy in a useful way.
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Actually this challenge reminds me quite a bit of my little Ecosystem substrate I've posted in the Showcase :) No issue with that at all, just an observation.

And also it's a little similar to a challenge I'm working on right now. I'll post it soon.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:38 am

Alast wrote:Actually this challenge reminds me quite a bit of my little Ecosystem substrate I've posted in the Showcase
Yes, I can see that. In our beta testing discussion I suggested a rotating light, but realized that would allow a one-mode photocyte solution that was perhaps too much like your ecosystem, and too easy for this challenge, though I still think it would make a good "easy" version. I love the concept of one organism feeding on the nutrients left by another organism's dead cells, and this challenge provides some fun ways to explore that idea more.

I've attempted your "doomed flagellocytes" challenge without much success yet. It is tricky :?
StereocyteNo2025

Post by StereocyteNo2025 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 am

wapcaplet wrote:
Alast wrote:Actually this challenge reminds me quite a bit of my little Ecosystem substrate I've posted in the Showcase
Yes, I can see that. In our beta testing discussion I suggested a rotating light, but realized that would allow a one-mode photocyte solution that was perhaps too much like your ecosystem, and too easy for this challenge, though I still think it would make a good "easy" version. I love the concept of one organism feeding on the nutrients left by another organism's dead cells, and this challenge provides some fun ways to explore that idea more.

I've attempted your "doomed flagellocytes" challenge without much success yet. It is tricky :?
A very small hint: Glueocytes.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:53 am

StereocyteNo2025 wrote:A very small hint
You're right, that hint is extremely small.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Nice work on creating this challenge :D It has a lot of different possible solutions. Always beta testing, I tried an "unintended" solution. :) I produced four cells: a Virocyte to create Photo-head swimmers, a Secrocyte to attract them, a Photocyte, and a Glueocyte to stick them to the plate wall. A few swimmers came, got infected, and started producing long chains of eggs, especially the ones stuck to the Glueocyte. I thought, well, I'll have to change some Nutrient priorities and Split masses on the swimmer, but it turned out that I didn't. The eggs became a large maze, with Photo-swimmers trapped in the light, producing more and more eggs and swimmers, reaching 1200. :shock:

That result was a bit goofy, but it happened so easily that you might want to disallow Virocytes. ;)

It also made me realize that a force-feed-the-queen strategy is going to work more easily by using only a few cells, rather than carpeting plate wall with them.
amor fati