A Versatile Basic Swimmer for the Wiki

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Nayus

A Versatile Basic Swimmer for the Wiki

Post by Nayus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm

If there's a classic organism outhere, that one is definetly the Basic Swimmer. Everyone that plays the game eventually has to build one.

Noughtypixy suggested that we move this to the user-created challenges and Reaper Elite did it.

So you know, we're working on the Wiki now and finishing the touches of the Ecology classification, and one of the first pages that there must be there is the one of the Basic Swimmer. And if the one that does that page were me, I wouldn't feel okay with picking one arbitrarily myself.

To that is this challenge/test/competition.

I ask everyone that wants to participate to sent his/hers Basic Swimmer to me, with the extention .genome (or .substrate) and we will test it against each other users post.

I will make a big substrate with very generous enviroment for swimmers and then very slowly making it more and more difficult, until only one genome stands. Since I'll be the one doing the test, I won't post any genome so there's no bias. The winners will be in the wiki.

You can create your swimmer however you like. With the settings you prefer and the color you like. As long as it follows

The Rules:
  • - Only Flagellocytes and Phagocytes allowed.
    - The Genome submitted can't have more than 6 used modes. This is to compromise between a tight mode limitation and free for all. This is because one could make a 20 mode swimmer that has a burst, a slow, a middle, every possible swimmer inside it for each part of the test. If this is the case, either everyone would be forced to do this tactic, or the one that does it will automatically win.
    - The organism can be submitted until Saturday 29th. (I added one extra day) To avoid counter-testing, the genomes should be PM to me directly. The 30 I'll post the submissions before doing the test but after the submissions are closed.
    - Only one submission per user.
    - In the case that only 3 or less genomes are submitted, the test won't be performed and those genomes will be on the wiki.
Substrate details:

This is the Model Substrate that will be used (or a very similar one). It has the following settings:
  • Salinity: 0.500
    Nutrient Concentration: 11.000
    Nutrient chunk Size: 0.450
    Diameter: 2.0 mm
    Maximum cell count: 2200
    (The light is just to see them better)
It's larger than usual but not that big because the fight for the food will be important in the early part of the test too.
The test will be performed this way:
- It will be saved and stated the owner of each Swimmer.
- If needed, each swimmer will be changed to a particular color to, as Candy said, have very noticeable when a Swimmer goes extinct. Every swimmer will be placed near the edges, evenly spaced to each other, at the same time and facing the center (I'll do a slight change to the genome in each one to make this happen- This change won't affect the behavior of the swimmer).
- Each "Round" will be of 100h. Everytime a species goes extinct, it will be stated for comparison with reiterations.
- When the round ends, the substrate will be frozen and saved (I'll try to record it but my recording app isn't that reliable so can't do any promises)
- Then the Nutrient concentration and nutrient size will be lowered at rate of 1 for the nutrient concentration and 0.05 for the chunk size. The Salinity will remain the same the entire test.
- The substrate will be put in observe again for another 100h, repeating the cycle until only 1 species remains.

Lastly, the test will be performed 2 more times, maybe more if there are different winners each time, to get consistency.
The organism that survives will be the one that is shown in the wiki as thumbnail and the first one linked.
Second and third place will also be featured in the page, along with the standard basic swimmer.
Last edited by Nayus on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CandyYAHFT

Re: [Competition] Looking for the most efficient Basic Swimmer

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm

I don't think this will work.

A swimmer evolved to thrive in a very harsh environment is usually slow and reproduces less often than a swimmer designed to max out a standard substrate.
Even though the swimmer that max out the standard substrate isn't the strongest swimmer for the standard substrate.

I don't think there's a way that you can make us all agree to put the "basic" swimmers in a test of the kind *one size fits all* because that's like the worst part of public education in most countries and nullifies the fact that an organism either virtual or real has its strengths and weaknesses.

Bwisialo talked once about his solution to macrophages IV that doesn't overpower the max out swimmer in a standard substrate, even though it's stronger in low food environments.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:29 pm

That's why I described the test as a gradient of change in enviroment. Developing a scarce basic swimmer will make other swimmers take it out in the early part because they would reproduce much more, and developing a burst swimmer will die in the scarce part. This test would favor the swimmer that is, generally, fit and do fine in most of the scenarios that you'd it in.

But okay. I see your point. I just thought it'd be fun.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 am

You can do a competition if you want. I'll can say more later but all I think the sorts of points Candy is making amount to is that "most efficient" is misleading.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:03 am

Don't get sad pal...

I just meant that you said it in a way that's not possible due to the mechanics of the game.

The challenge as you explained it it could fit better with something as

"Challenge for the most versatile swimmer"

The conditions could be...

The genomes will be put to compete with each other in a standard substrate.

Once an species is eliminated the nutrients will be reduced.

Repeat until only one genome controls the entire substrate.

The result won't be the best swimmer overall, but it'll be a very strong one that can survive a large range of conditions, thus, winning the title of the most versatile.

It might actually be a nice challenge, as it's something we haven't done before.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Megathosto14

Re: [Competition] Looking for the most versatile Basic Swimmer

Post by Megathosto14 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 am

You should make a video of and post it on YouTube.
Also I hope that you can give us the substrate first so we'll know what swimmer you are looking for.
If you want to make sure it's fair, you should make a big substrate so all swimmer can have a fresh start and the problems​ like Candy and bwisialo point out will less likely happen. The problem might be that it will take times before a species to die.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 am

Give the swimmers a colors that are very different from each other so you can spot when a swimmer dies immediately.

You should give us the substrate and the amount of nutrient reduction for each round so we can be sure that our swimmers even survive the possible final rounds.

Now, something that I want to know is if there's going to be a limit of modes.

Because a nice strategy could be to... LoL better keep that a secret, let you figure it out...

But, is it like a 3 mode limit?

Because there's a way to do the basicest of swimmers with only 2 modes.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:46 pm

It should just be a basic three-celled swimmer right?
TragmatiS

Post by TragmatiS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

It should be a basic two-celled, three-moded swimmer.
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Opps, my bad. I mean 3 moded swimmer