Buoyocyte Only Smart Floaters

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
JustYourAverageHuman

Buoyocyte Only Smart Floaters

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 pm

So, this isn't a much of an actual challenge with constraints as it is an idea for a new possible organism. I've been wondering if there is a way to create a smart organism that only uses buoyocytes for propulsion. The difficulty with such a creature would be getting it to move sideways. I think the only way would be to use myocytes to bend it in such a way so that the upwards and downwards force of the buoyocytes is translated into side to side motion. I think this could be done in two possible ways: Using bending or contraction to create a sort of slithering motion, or using lift to create friction points with the substraight that could be used as pivot points for turning. I encourage you to share any results you find in this thread.

I've included a sample substraight that the creature should be able to survive on. Feel free to make adjustments as you see fit. I would recommend turning the light all the way up and using photocytes instead of phagocytes to test possible designs. You may also want to change the friction if you want to try to use the pivot point idea I mentioned earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gf7qnec8zy06 ... trate?dl=0
Nayus

Re: Buoyocyte Only Smart Floaters

Post by Nayus » Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 pm

That's an interesting concept.

I have an idea similar to the pivot thing you suggested but that doesn't use Myocytes. I'll try it out and see if it works :)
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 am

The famous "farting propulsion" would seem appropriate here :)

...edit: wow when you say scarce, you do mean scarce! :oops: Farting propulsion might be expensive :D
Last edited by ruffo on Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Thu May 04, 2017 1:18 am

Worked very much for the @$$ blasters in the tremor movies.
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu May 04, 2017 1:28 am

There's a video and challenge on youtube called Smart Balloons, where you only have smart Buoyocytes for propulsion. We should probably post the challenge here as well. The solutions Alast and I developed, one with and ine without Myocytes, don't have much sideways movement to speak of, but enough to eventually spread out. Most of the sideways movement is just the growth of the organisms. The one with Myocytes does some slithering, but that doesn't propel the organism: every bend moves it to the left as much as the right. I'm not sure if you can get pivoting from Lift. It seems like that wouldn't work, because you'd need to get it from the Myocyte pushing a cell down onto the substrate, which would mostly stop movement. It's worth some experiments though.
amor fati
JustYourAverageHuman

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Thu May 04, 2017 1:33 am

ruffo wrote:...edit: wow when you say scarce, you do mean scarce! :oops: Farting propulsion might be expensive :D
It's not all that scarce considering the salinity ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vm8k0kdaklq ... trate?dl=0
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 am

The famous "farting propulsion" would seem appropriate here
Well. Farting Propulsion counts as a form of movement so making it move that way wouldn't really qualify as Floater movement right?
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Thu May 04, 2017 2:41 am

Nayus wrote:Well. Farting Propulsion counts as a form of movement so making it move that way wouldn't really qualify as Floater movement right?
Oh, I see. I thought if myocyte lift could be valid, then farting motion might be valid too. My bad :lol:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 am

Alast's solution to Smart Balloons survives on the substrate, without Myocytes. I haven't found my solution yet, which is the one with Myocytes.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu May 04, 2017 5:43 am

For the sake of experimenting with the mechanisms, I'd say you could put Salinity at max.
amor fati