Harsh Conditions III v2 and v4

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How difficult is Harsh Conditions III v2? (If v4 is less than Very Difficult, post a comment.)

Easy
No votes
Moderate
No votes
Difficult
No votes
Very Difficult
No votes
Extremely Difficult
No votes

Total votes: 0
bwisialo

Harsh Conditions III v2 and v4

Post by bwisialo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:08 pm

This challenge combines elements of the Harsh Conditions, Sunlight II, and Slippery Slope challenges. The substrates have rotating light, gravity and density effects, and no nitrates.

In v2, you work around the sides and top of the dish. In v4, the light rotates more slowly and you work from the bottom of the dish.

Please don't post links to your solutions, but feel free to post hints as well as general descriptions and images of your solutions.
To attempt the challenges, you need to complete "19: Slippery Slope" in Cell Lab, which gives you access to Nitrocytes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6q5znsu311hn ... trate?dl=0
Objective (Very Difficult): Can you make your species reach 500 cells?
Additional Rule: Your cells need to survive for at least 150 hrs (approximately 6 light rotations) after reaching 500 to make sure your species can survive indefinitely.

Number of Inserted Cells allowed: 10
Cell types that can be used: All

Hints: The inital solutions to v2 use (along with Photocytes and Nitrocytes) Lipocytes and Glueocytes together; Glueocytes alone; Lipocytes alone; or Buoyocytes alone. In each case, a key strategy was that the Nitrocytes split -- into either a Lipocyte and a Glueocyte; two Glueocytes; two Lipocytes; or two Buoyocytes. It can be helpful to have the split mass of one or more of your Photocytes be 3.04 or higher.
Other solutions are always possible. :)
-------------------------------------------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/enh2ck68fk30a ... trate?dl=0
Objective (Very Difficult): Can you make your species reach 400 cells?
Additional Rule: Your cells need to survive for at least 150 hr (approximately 6 light rotations) after reaching 400 to make sure your species can survive indefinitely.

Number of Inserted Cells allowed: 10
Cell types that can be used: All

Hints: The initial solutions to v4 used (along with Photocytes and Nitrocytes) Lipocytes and Glueocytes together; or Lipocytes alone. In each case, a key strategy was that the Nitrocytes split -- into either a Lipocyte and a Glueocyte; or two Lipocytes. With light this slow, it can be helpful to have the split mass of one or more or your Photocytes be 3.42 or 3.54
Other solutions are always possible. :)
-----------------------------------------

Thanks and credits to Alast :) , whose solutions helped me improve these challenges.
Last edited by bwisialo on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.
amor fati
Phaseling

Re: User-Created Challenge: Harsh Conditions III

Post by Phaseling » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:07 pm

SO GLAD PEOPLE ARE MAKING THEM!?!
Awesome, im gonna try it out :3
From the desk of
Phaseling
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:18 pm

I tried developing a new solution from scratch, aiming for something fairly intuitive -- though it does use 10 modes -- and ended up with a solution that reaches 800. So I'd say the original difficulty ratings are fairly accurate.

A Hint: the new solution I developed contains more Lipocytes than my first solution -- doing a better job of keeping the species alive as the light rotates.
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Cool! Very nice that the solution requires a lot of cells :). Maybe I'll include a challenge like this in the next version :). It'l need a few tweaks though since some settings have changes.

cheers,
Petter
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks Petter,

After creating the substrate, I played around with settings and now have a better understanding of how Gravity, Density, and Density Gradient work. If I were to try to improve this substrate / challenge, I would tweak these 3 settings a bit.
amor fati
Luke

Post by Luke » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:19 am

I hit the 800 cell limit.
Gd job at making harsh conditions. You should have set all to 0. That would make it impossible conditions. If only we can make vacuum conditions in cell lab.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Luke wrote:I hit the 800 cell limit.
Gd job at making harsh conditions. You should have set all to 0. That would make it impossible conditions. If only we can make vacuum conditions in cell lab.
Can you send me your solution via the private message button?
amor fati
mr.booh

Post by mr.booh » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:42 pm

Owned by my survivor-booh... ;-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:37 pm

mr.booh wrote:Owned by my survivor-booh... ;-)
More like bug-a-booh. Cheater. ;)
amor fati
mr.booh

Post by mr.booh » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:04 am

Ha ha! Until Petter correct it, it's a part of the system that I can exploit... lol