Harsh Conditions III v2 and v4

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How difficult is Harsh Conditions III v2? (If v4 is less than Very Difficult, post a comment.)

Easy
No votes
Moderate
No votes
Difficult
No votes
Very Difficult
No votes
Extremely Difficult
No votes

Total votes: 0
bwisialo

Re: User-Created Challenge: Harsh Conditions III

Post by bwisialo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:09 am

One thing I've found:

If you create a substrate just like Sunlight II, and if you change the Lipocytes (in your solution to Sunlight II) to Glueocytes, your species will very likely do much better. Mine certainly does. ;)

The other day, I briefly played around trying to make a challenge that required Buoyos and Lipos (Glueos not allowed). But I was hitting a similar - but different - sort of problem. I'd create a substrate that required Buoyos, and species always seemed to do better if you doubled up Buoyos rather than use Buoyos and Lipos together. :(
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:19 am

Need to try that out. In the meantime you can try your HC3 substrate without gravity and even slower light rotation. Lipos seem to do better then.

Well, scratch that. Glueos are still doing great. And when you make the rotation too slow, you don't need anything anymore but Photos and Nitros. They will hit 500+ in the first light phase before dying off...
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Old version deleted.
Last edited by bwisialo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Highest I got so far was 370. This is a really tough one :-) Do you have a solution?
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Hm, got to 500+, but I'm sure it was due to the Energy Bug.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Yes. But I have a friendlier substrate that I think I'm going to go with.

Glueocytes distribute energy well, but Lipocytes store energy for survival when the light rotation is this slow. There's the advantage of Lipocytes. In the friendlier substrate, the gravity is lower: fewer cells die getting crushed at the bottom, and it allows you to climb further up the right wall. You need Glueos to do that, giving them another role in addition to distributing energy. :)

My solution for it goes above 500 every rotation and peaks above 600. I'd say this makes the Objective of 400 or 500 - probably 400 - seem like a reasonably doable goal. The rule I gave was a bit half baked. The Rule will be: your cells need to survive for at least 250 hr (approximately 10 light rotations) after reaching 400 to make sure your species can survive for the long term.

I'll post it in a moment.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:05 am

Once hit 500 in your new substrate. But all cells must have been aligned for that :) And I am using Lipos and Glueos ;-)

And by placing more than just 1 cell one time peaks of 600+ are possible... oh thats right. Your solution does that anyway :-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:14 am

Yeah, I think it actually requires both kinds of cells now.

My solution is a modification of the v3 "no Lipo" solution you sent me - ;)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:07 pm

I tried to check for this and rule it out, but... now it's solvable without Glueocytes. And this solution hits higher numbers than my first one. But I don't care anymore. :) It takes a good solution no matter what.

I re-instated v2 as well, because it's also a good challenge that has various solutions. :)
amor fati