New Challenge Concept

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
JustYourAverageHuman

New Challenge Concept

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 am

A lot of the more advanced challenges focus on using phagocytes and devorocytes (and rarely gluocytes), but almost never photocytes. This is with good reason, because in many situations photocytes are overpowered and cannot be balanced to create an adequately difficult challenge. I don't think photocytes get enough love, so I have a concept for a possible advanced challenge with photocytes as the energy source for the solution organism. The basic idea is that you have a substraight with gravity, which is lit only near the top. This substraight also has no nitrates. Nitro swimmers of some kind live on this substraight, but are only clustered near the bottom of the plate. The disallowed cell types for this challenge are phagocyte, devorocyte, nitrocyte, virocyte, and possibly secrocyte. The basic idea is that you spawn your organism near the top of the plate in the lit area, it is able to split a little bit, but then must swim (or sink with buyocytes) to the bottom of the plate and attach itself to on of the nitro swimmers in order to reproduce and possibly reach adulthood if the initial splitting with no nitrates left it in a juvenile form. Then it must make it back to the top of the plate in order to get more energy. Repeat this process until a certain cell count is reached. There are some issues with the idea though. You need to make sure that the solution organism cannot leech nutrients from the swimmers with a glueucyte, or else it would just be able to live at the bottom of the plate without going up and down. Also, each nitro swimmer needs to have some sort of self destruct or defensive mechanism that makes it so that it can only provide nitrates once. Otherwise, the solution organism could capture one nitro swimmer, return to the top of the plate, and reproduce indefinitely. Finally, the amount of times an initial cell could split may not be enough to create an organism complex enough to successfully reach the bottom of the plate and attach itself to a nitro swimmer to continue the life cycle. I hope that somebody can develop this idea further and possibly create something that could be added into the game.

Edit: Virocytes are also not allowed
Last edited by JustYourAverageHuman on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alast

Re: New Challenge Concept

Post by Alast » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am

I have to admit I did not read through this big block of text. I'd say you should build your idea :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Alast wrote:I have to admit I did not read through this big block of text. I'd say you should build your idea :)
I did read it, sounds like an interesting idea and I second Alast in suggesting you make a first draft of the substrate you are thinking of for the challenge.
beware the pixys
Botcell

Post by Botcell » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am

So my "original" organism is one that isn't allowed on the challenge.
All it uses are photocytes and guleocytes.
"Oh hey do you see that?"
"Yeah it's getting bigger"
"Wait I think tha-"
*Slams into substrate wall*
JustYourAverageHuman

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Botcell wrote:So my "original" organism is one that isn't allowed on the challenge.
All it uses are photocytes and guleocytes.
Photocytes and gluocytes are allowed, but you organism would not be able to survive because the substraight has no nitrates.
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Is there a substrate link?
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:52 pm

beware the pixys
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 pm

No, there isn't. It's just an idea that needs a proof of concept. Before that it's pretty pointless to speculate what would work and what not.
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Nayus wrote:Is there a substrate link?
Alast wrote:No, there isn't. It's just an idea that needs a proof of concept. Before that it's pretty pointless to speculate what would work and what not.
well kind of I made this test substrate based off the description in the op
Noughtypixy wrote:Kind of like this as a sub?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj2g4jveka7rg ... trate?dl=0
think probably NO nitrocites phageocites or virocites for organisms, OP also disallowed devourocites and sectetocites.
beware the pixys
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, I saw then that you"ve created something based on the OP description. But JustYourAverageHuman has not commented here since the OP.

I appreciate your attempt but I do expect JYAH to provide their own version and clearly state what the conditions and rules are to consider this a custom challenge. Whether it'd be a worthy candidate for an official challenge is then a totally different story.